Cardio builds muscle. WHAT?

Options
Just watched a 53 minute seminar by George Farah (coach of 75 IFBB Pros) and Kai Greene (2nd place at 2012 Mr. Olympia) and he sheds some light on cardio and its amplifying characteristics for building muscle. I thought i'd share it.
Also he discusses a lot of great topics.

http://youtu.be/WNgxBfWvIzE

45:05 is what i'm talking about.

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Interesting. NFI.

Maybe it hit certain muscle fibres that heavy weights don't much like plyometrics complements heavy lifting? (I might be talking **** as I don't know that much about bodybuilding.)
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Interesting. NFI.

Maybe it hit certain muscle fibres that heavy weights don't much like plyometrics complements heavy lifting? (I might be talking **** as I don't know that much about bodybuilding.)

I couldn't say for sure, but i'd be stupid not to atleast test his theory for atleast a 6 week period and decide for myself, wouldn't you agree?
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Any form of exercise will build muscle, be it even walking.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Any form of exercise will build muscle, be it even walking.

to an extent, yes I agree. To the elite level, no.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Interesting. NFI.

I couldn't say for sure, but i'd be stupid not to atleast test his theory for atleast a 6 week period and decide for myself, wouldn't you agree?

Indeed - what have you got to lose?

I have been using my bicycle on the stupidest setting regularly for a few months now and whilst I only squat heavy once a fortnight on average (due to access to the heavy stuff), my legs have a nice shape. I am wondering if I'd been on a calorie surplus what my legs would look like now.

Have a look at Kai Greene's I'll Never Be A Weightlifter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8wZNGL4iA4
    He talks about lifting light but correctly.

Depends what you want, I guess - to be stronger or bigger.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Interesting. NFI.

Indeed - what have you got to lose?

I have been using my bicycle on the stupidest setting regularly for a few months now and whilst I only squat heavy once a fortnight on average (due to access to the heavy stuff), my legs have a nice shape. I am wondering if I'd been on a calorie surplus what my legs would look like now.

Have a look at Kai Greene's I'll Never Be A Weightlifter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8wZNGL4iA4
    He talks about lifting light but correctly.

Depends what you want, I guess - to be stronger or bigger.

I've watched pretty much all videos on Kai Greene on youtube :) He's one of the few men I look up to. And it's not about lifting light weight. It's really more about contracting the muscles against resistance, being it light or heavy.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I've watched pretty much all videos on Kai Greene on youtube :) He's one of the few men I look up to. And it's not about lifting light weight. It's really more about contracting the muscles against resistance, being it light or heavy.

Indeed - technique!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reading

vghj
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    ...people take Kai's principles far too literally, basically any long blood work ( cardio) will improve the efficiency of the circulatory system.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    It's not Kai's principles however, it;s george farah's. The man has trained 75 IFBB pros and competed 3 times in the Olympia I think he knows what he's talking about. Don't be so ignorant in thinking that cardio for example HIIT will have the same effect as LISS cardio, or the timing for example in the morning as compared to night cardio will have the same hormonal reaction in aiding recovery and muscle protein synthesis.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    That video you posted is great. Think I'm gonna have to listen to it a few times, though!
    It's not Kai's principles however, it;s george farah's. The man has trained 75 IFBB pros and competed 3 times in the Olympia I think he knows what he's talking about. Don't be so ignorant in thinking that cardio for example HIIT will have the same effect as LISS cardio, or the timing for example in the morning as compared to night cardio will have the same hormonal reaction in aiding recovery and muscle protein synthesis.

For fat burning, I'm a big fan of HIIT but should we do Steady State or HIIT to build muscle?
  • mbryant22
    mbryant22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I think it comes down to personal preference and what helps you the most to preserve muscle and trim fat. If you are at Kai's level, I don't see how a 265lb+ bodybuilder would be capable of sprinting on and off in 1 minute intervals for 20 minutes. So I guess it would also be a factor of what you are capable of. I know Eric Helms (Natural bodybuilding coach) likes to use HIIT in his programs, Vince del Monte (WBFF Fitness Model) likes to use HIIT 3x week for 20mins. Phil Heath (2012 Mr. Olympia) does about 1 - 1.5 hours of LISS cardio in the weeks leading up to a show. Of course cardio is not the only factor that's going to effet your results, like diet and rep ranges, load etc. But talking strictly cardio, what you are capable of and what seems to be working for you is your best bet IMO.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Oh, ok. :D
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Interesting point there at 45:05.

If I run LISS for 30 - 60 minutes I don't feel hungry for another 3-4 hours and while that helps in reducing weight (fat and lean mass I guess) it wouldn't help to "absorb more food" as is being suggested in this video.

However, if I swim for the same amount of time, I feel ravenous afterwards and I have to plan to have access to high levels of protein and carbs or less I will eat any old rubbish. I continue to see fat reduction but weight loss is slow, so i am guessing I am increasing lean mass while losing bodyfat - the point I believe is being made in the video.

The difference - for me - between running and swimming is I run slowly but well within my aerobic capacity, but I am an inefficient swimmer currently so I am often drawing deeply for breath. So I guess I am working more HIIT when I swim than when I run.

I am seeing more muscle growth, especially upper body, with swimming (along with bodyweight exercises) than running, which compliments my yoga and increases strength where I need it without muscle bulk.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    sounds awesome. As long as you are getting desired results, really no one can tell you, you're doing it wrong.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just watched a 53 minute seminar by George Farah (coach of 75 IFBB Pros) and Kai Greene (2nd place at 2012 Mr. Olympia) and he sheds some light on cardio and its amplifying characteristics for building muscle. I thought i'd share it.

Given the amount of anabolics used by the IFBB pros (who are also extremely genetically gifted as far as gaining muscle goes), one would have to wonder if and how this would apply to the drug free normal folks here.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

Given the amount of anabolics used by the IFBB pros (who are also extremely genetically gifted as far as gaining muscle goes), one would have to wonder if and how this would apply to the drug free normal folks here.

If you watched the video you would know the answer to your question. One guy asked this question and George response was that his principles were based on natural competitors and natural ability/physiology. Of course IFBB pros are gifted genetically, they are not called 'professionals' for no reason. But don't think their genetics alone is what got them to the professional level, as George mentions as well (if you watched the video) Kai was natural for a long time before he turned IFBB pro.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

If you watched the video you would know the answer to your question. One guy asked this question and George response was that his principles were based on natural competitors and natural ability/physiology. Of course IFBB pros are gifted genetically, they are not called 'professionals' for no reason. But don't think their genetics alone is what got them to the professional level, as George mentions as well (if you watched the video) Kai was natural for a long time before he turned IFBB pro.

After spending some of my younger years being lied to and misled by the Weiderworld folks, I have a hard time believing anything coming out of their mouths. Maybe times have changed, but I've been permanently soured to them.