Your most filling GF vegetarian foods?????

Options
2»

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Do Rice and Jowar count as glutem free?

You can make Indian roti using rice or Jowar flour and pair it with any vegetable curry. Also chickpea flour can be used to make curries and flat bread. If you're interested, I can name a few names and then you cane easily google for recipes.

There's also Ragi(Finger Millet) very nutritious and can be used to make flat breads, biscuits. Im also not sure about corn meal but it is great too.

Rice and cornmeal, depending on the facilities that they're processed in, are usually gluten-free. I believe Jowar is a type of millet, which is gluten-free.

I'd love it if you could send me some names to look up! Please send me a private message with any recipes that you might have for flat breads. The best I've been able to get are frozen GF, uncooked pappadams and some of the recipes on the internet aren't that good. :)

Original Poster - If you're interested in spicy food, I completely forgot about many of the amazing Indian veg dishes that are gf. Channa Masala is a dish that's made with chickpeas and is pretty spicy. You can get a packet of seasoning, add the chick peas, and add some crushed tomato. It's traditionally served with rice, but I'm sure you could serve it with quinoa as well.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Any vegetarian curry recipe with beans or lentils AND block creamed coconut or unsweetened dessicated (not milk or cream which have had the fibre removed). I am not vegetarian but can eat vegan curries like that without feeling deprived. Also cheap and packed with nutrients!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Rice and beans. Rice and beans. Gotta eat some rice and beans. Throw some veggies in there too.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Do Rice and Jowar count as glutem free?

You can make Indian roti using rice or Jowar flour and pair it with any vegetable curry. Also chickpea flour can be used to make curries and flat bread. If you're interested, I can name a few names and then you cane easily google for recipes.

There's also Ragi(Finger Millet) very nutritious and can be used to make flat breads, biscuits. Im also not sure about corn meal but it is great too.

Rice, sorghum (jowar), and millet are all gluten free, as well as chickpea flour (gram).
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    - Veg chili with TVP and lots of veggies, like carrots

TVP is not always gluten free. Be very careful of it, that stuff gave me three weeks of nonstop horrible intestinal distress. It's not worth the risk to go near it again, afaik.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I love vegetarian sandwiches

get a wheat pita inside put in shredded carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, dill pickle spear, red cabbage and a bit of cheese its yummy.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You are getting some good meal ideas, so I'll suggest a few snack options when you're hungry but don't have many calories left. Apples and microwave popcorn are my go to snacks when I'm hungry. Both full of fiber and under 150 calories. It stops my hunger for quite awhile.
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    just made Veggie-riffic noodle free lasagna from Hungry Girl. GF and Veg and a ton of food for very few calories. Found it on pinterest:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Cinnabons.
  • mlkuper
    mlkuper Posts: 10
    Options
    Vegetaria chili for sure! Homemade with pinto beans, crushed and fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion, diced bell peppers, corn, cumin and chili powder. Serve overa little bit of brown rice. Or eat from a mug. Mmmmmmmmmm

Also red lentils cooked with diced onions in vegetable stock is awesome, filling and yummy. Or split pea soup. recipe on the back of the bag of dried peas. :)