Old guy getting started...

Options
I'm 77. Just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes...need to diet and increase exercise.

Does anybody have a doable exercise routine for old guys like me?

Replies

• CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hello & Welcome! Never too late to make positive changes!!!
    Try Walking Gardening Swimming/Aquafit ... Activites that you enjoy

Good Luck!!!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Start with what you are comfortable with. Walking, swimming, etc. just to get moving to start.

Looking for a program, find something that has different levels, a beginner/moderate/advanced level thing. Or maybe find a local gym or group fitness place where you can work with a coach or trainer. They will help you with form.

Congrats on making a commitment to get moving. You can do this, one step at a time!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm 77. Just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes...need to diet and increase exercise.

Does anybody have a doable exercise routine for old guys like me?

Walking...even for younger guys like myself, walking is great exercise. It's good cardio and low impact. At least 30 minutes 3-5 times per week...5 times would be optimal. Just walk fast enough to get your heart rate up during that 30 minutes...depending on your level of fitness, that may just be a stroll...for me I have to be going 3.5 - 4 MPH to get much out of it. You don't have to train like an athlete to achieve a reasonable level of fitness. You may want to look into getting a HRM as well.

I got rolling with MFP due to health concerns myself. At 38 I already have hypertension, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides...and well on my way to acquiring type II diabetes (as my dad did). Pretty much the doc put his foot up my *kitten* and told me I needed to get my crap together if I didn't want to be a statistic. I've taken heed of this and completely changed my diet and am out there exercising 5 days per week. Since October I've lost 12 Lbs and counting. My blood pressure is on the decline and my doc is optimistic that we can completely get rid of those pills at some point. Haven't done my blood work as the doc wants to wait until spring, but he's also optimistic there with all of the changes of made and the way my body is changing.

Good luck to you and welcome to MFP
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I agree that walking (or swimming if you have access) is a great way to start. Anything that gets your heart rate going will offer benefits. Best of luck to you on your journey. :smile: