What are food processors good for?

Options
stephdeeable
stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
So, I had thought my boyfriends mom (whom I love!) was getting me a blender for Christmas(to make shakes/smoothies, etc) but instead got me a food processor. I'm not complaining, I'm totally grateful for it, and it's a very nice, 8 cup one. I'm just not really the greatest cook and not sure what to use it for besides making homemade salsa, hummus, guacamole.. So what recipes are they most useful for? What do you use yours for the most? It's just sitting there in it's box, looking at me all smugly...I'd like to break it in today. Thanks guys!

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    PIE CRUST! WUHUU
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I never used my until I started cooking regularly and now I use it all the time. I use it to help make my soups and homemade sauces, to make my one peanut butter, to make salad dressings, lots of stuff like that
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    If it's new there should be a recipe guide in the box, if it's not new look for a downloadable version of the recipe guide, I found one for the ice-cream maker I picked up this summer via yardsale, and for the bread-maker. The recipes that come with the machine have been "tried and true" tested for results with the machine or they'd not be in there... Start with those recipes for some ideas and adjust / adapt for your personal tastes.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    they are fantastic for making coleslaw saves a lot of chopping.
    I use mine for everything, cakes, soups, mincing my own meat so I know how lean the meat is.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just bought one before the holiday's for baking & it makes everything so much easier! slicing onions, shredding cheese, shortbread crust, pie crust.

But to be honest, I haven't used it much for everyday cooking, yet.

I could see it being helpful, for chopping / dicing veggies for soups, (if you are ok with them not being perfect little cubes). Then also being helpful in pureeing tomatos for sauce or other veggies for soups like squash or potato that are thicker, not really broth based, if you dont have am immersion blender.

The book that came with the food processor has recipes in it.
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I didn't realize it came with a book, that's what I get for not opening the box.

The fact that it can shred cheese makes me happy. I loathe shredding cheese.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You can still make smoothies in it, just put fewer ingredients in it.

I also use mine to make homemade noodles, to cut up onions, celery, etc to put in soup.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Take about 2-3 cups of dates, and 1/2 or so of almonds and about a tablespoon of cocoa powder, throw it all in.

Blend the shizz outta em, til it turns glossy and like a tough play-dough. (will take awhile maybe 4-5 minutes stopping the machine once in awhile to use a spatula and push the edges down)

Roll it into a tube, chill and cut into small pieces.

Tastes like those...Eat More candy bars.

I did this for weeks.

Gave em to everybody. Such a good treat that isn't too terrible for you.
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    they are good for everything, make so much in mine, even good for making ingredients like breadcrumbs etc the only thing is if you make anything that has fruit in it you have to add that last because the blades cut it up, so either put it in and pulse or add it after and mix in. the other great thing is you can grate and shread and chop as well as mix i love mine, but i do love a traditional mixer too, they do different things.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Pie crust, cookie dough, bread dough/pizza, pasta dough, chicken salad, hummus. In the summer I use it to make water ice from frozen fruit and sugar syrup. After swirling the frozen stuff in the food processor you get a great water ice consistency, You can also do your shakes in there. Every kitchen should have a food processor. They are very versatile. Good luck
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    Take about 2-3 cups of dates, and 1/2 or so of almonds and about a tablespoon of cocoa powder, throw it all in.

Blend the shizz outta em, til it turns glossy and like a tough play-dough. (will take awhile maybe 4-5 minutes stopping the machine once in awhile to use a spatula and push the edges down)

I did this for weeks.

Thanks! I love EatMores, I'll have to try this.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I process mushrooms and add bulk to many dishes. Even picky eaters think I just added extra meat or something- season those mushrooms and it adds amazing flavor through dishes such as - spinach rolls, sauces, eggs/omlettes soups and so much more.
    Can throw some onion or garlic in the mix too and just add a 1/2 - whole cup or so of it to almost anything. Stretches the budget and makes you feel full too.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    could you possibly exchange it for the blender you wanted?
  • literaryweasel
    Options
    I use mine for shredding meat, doing quick chopping of things like herbs and veggies, shredding potatoes, shredding carrots, shredding cheese... the list goes on! I'd take a look at your blade attachments and read through what they can be used for, and then you have a good starting point to get creative. The last time I used my food processor was to shred potatoes for latkes this past Hanukkah. I used to grate the potatoes by hand and it was torture!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    homemade salsa.

or sauces.

making anything that requires chopped nuts, bc thats a pain in the butt to do manually
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    could you possibly exchange it for the blender you wanted?

I don't think I could ever exchange a gift...I'll probably buy one of those mini blenders myself for 20$ and use the food processor as much as I can.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use my food processor for EVERYTHING! In fact, I just had to buy a bigger one because I was using it more than I thought I ever would! It's a definite time saver when it comes to prepping meals!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I did this for weeks.

That sounds incredible!
    Do I have to use dates only or can I mix in other dried fruits like cherries?

I just used my food processor to chop and mix pistachios, dried apricots, dates into small enough pieces to mix with oats, brown sugar and butter to make energy bars for snacking and carrying on hikes. Way easier than chopping dried fruits by hand.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I use mine for ricing cauliflower (and other veggies, when the mood strikes).
  • mindydaile
    mindydaile Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's great for making homemade pesto. I find that my homemade is much lower in calories than store-bought because I put in just barely enough oil to make it all come together.