Suggestions for Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I would like to get a heart rate monitor/calorie calculator, but the information on them seems overwhelming. What I am primarily looking for is:

*accurate calories burned for workouts
*no monthly fee/subscription required to get data
*ease of wear

I really want something that will accurately tell me what I burned while working out, as I tend to distrust the machines and the "estimated" calories, and I certainly don't want to over-consume because I banked on an inaccurate calorie count. I also don't want to pay something monthly to get the data, because I really can't afford it. A one-time purchase I can justify, but not a monthly fee. I also would not want to wear something that's bulky or difficult so that I could wear it to a workout class/the gym/etc. I also don't care that they may not auto-sync with MFP, as I can always input the calories burned myself.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a HRM, please pass it on!

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I've heard polar series is prettily good, but they tend to be upwards of 130$ for a watch/band set....
  • mjegg
    mjegg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I felt overwhelmed when looking, too. After a lot of research and weighing options, I got a Polar FT 7 and couldn't be happier. It was easy to learn and the chest strap is surprisingly comfortable. No monthly fee, the display on the treadmill is a bonus and I think the cal count is much more accurate. Good luck. :-)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I really want something that will accurately tell me what I burned while working out...

When you typed this sentence you disqualified every HRM ever manufactured. There's a very good reason they don't call them Calories Burned Monitors.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would like to get a heart rate monitor/calorie calculator, but the information on them seems overwhelming. What I am primarily looking for is:

*accurate calories burned for workouts
    *no monthly fee/subscription required to get data
    *ease of wear

I really want something that will accurately tell me what I burned while working out, as I tend to distrust the machines and the "estimated" calories, and I certainly don't want to over-consume because I banked on an inaccurate calorie count. I also don't want to pay something monthly to get the data, because I really can't afford it. A one-time purchase I can justify, but not a monthly fee. I also would not want to wear something that's bulky or difficult so that I could wear it to a workout class/the gym/etc. I also don't care that they may not auto-sync with MFP, as I can always input the calories burned myself.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a HRM, please pass it on!

HRMs are still estimates. They use algorithms based on averages. There is also a number of things that can affect the accuracy of them.
    FWIW, everything is an estimate. Your BMR, TDEE, food consumed, calories burned.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and am perfectly happy with it. I understand it is not perfect, but at least the estimated burn is based on my gender, age, and weight versus a more general estimate. The calculated burn is lower than MFP estimates, lower than my treadmill estimate, but it does the job. I would recommend it.

And you can get one on Amazon for well under $100. Mine was around 70-75 bucks.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and am perfectly happy with it. I understand it is not perfect, but at least the estimated burn is based on my gender, age, and weight versus a more general estimate. The calculated burn is lower than MFP estimates, lower than my treadmill estimate, but it does the job. I would recommend it.

And you can get one on Amazon for well under $100. Mine was around 70-75 bucks.

Calories burned really have nothing to do with age or gender. HRMs need this info but that doesn't make them more accurate.

I;m going to quote Azdak because he can explain it oh so much better than me.
    "calories burnt depends on weight x intensity. That's it. HRMs need more information (age, height, etc) but that is because they cannot measure workload--and the the algorithms they use need more data points.

But that's a math issue to compensate for the inherent inaccuracy of the HRM method, not a calorie issue. (In other words, if you can accurately measure the workload --e.g. speed and distance, watts, etc--all you need is body weight and you can estimate calories with reasonable accuracy. The other factors--age, gender, heart rate--are not necessary). "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/829627-confused-about-calorie-burn?page=1#posts-12468044
  • smuckers722
    smuckers722 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM FT4 on bodytronics.com for $60.00 or so. witth free shipping and no monthly fees.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I did my research, I narrowed it down to either a Polar or a New Balance N4. Searched for both on eBay, the NB came up first - got a $70 HRM for $26 - works great, I've been using it for over a year.
  • swanarae
    Options
    For what you are wanting I would suggest a Polar FT4 or an FT7
    Heartratemoitorsusa.com has the FT4 starting at $60
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and I LOOOOVE IT! Keeps track of my calories burned and my heart rate. :)
  • feliciawilchek
    Options
    I gt a polar ft4 this pass weekend and love it i put it on when i went to the gym yesterday and today Im burning way more calories then I thought i did in a day :) I got mine from academy for 89.00 btw if anyone wanna add to me there fitnesspal send me a invite im looking to meet new friends on this weight loss journey :)
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft 40 and i love it. I bought it partly for the features and partly for the looks. i didn't like the other colors, i got it in white.