HRM Polar FT4....To buy or not to buy

Options
That is my question!!
I can get it for £53 BUT I'm wondering if its going to be worth it?
Everyone who I've noticed has one LOOOOVES it.
I'm not made of money so £53 is a LOT to me, especially when its spent on myself and not on my family.

Can I have some pro's and con's?

I'm pretty much only going to be using it at home while I do my workouts in front of the tv....and maybe (hopefully) when I attempt couch to 5k when I have some proper free time....

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I love mine so much, I bought one for my hubs.

It was one of the best supplemental investments I've made on my fitness journey.

The only con I can think of is that sometimes my hubs watch picks up my HR and it's very frustrating to him.

Pros---- it's super easy to use, the strap works with most cardio machines that have a sensor built in.

I heart it.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I agree my polar HRM has been the best investment I've made fitness gadget wise. I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and haven't even had to change the battery. I wear the watch every day

It all really depends on if you think that by knowing a guesstimate (that is still all it is) of calories burned is really what you need or if you're happy enough to keep working the way you are. HRMs are by no means a necessity
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Pros
    Easy to use
    Can be used while swimming
    Gives a calorie reading as well as heartrate stats and exercise duration
    User can change the batteries and waterproof seals (which are provided with each battery) - no need to send back to Polar.
    Decent looking as a daily watch - the watch is on all the time once the battery is initiated; may as well use it.

Cons - none so far
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have had almost a year of almost excellent use out of my FT4.

HOWEVER, over the past few weeks it has been cutting out A LOT, and just not finding the heart rate when it should. Now I've done everything right, it is tight enough and wet enough, and all the batteries are pretty much new. I have contacted Polar several times and not had a reply, so I'm not impressed with their customer service. I'm doing 'Insanity' right now so it is really important for me to be able to check my HR all the time so when it cuts out or shows 00 it is so frustrating and stuffs up my workout.

Having said that, I have the pink one which I use as a watch so I love being able to use it for both. It is very straightforward to use, I think actually it is a bargain at the price as I have got so much use out of it. It doesn't do anything fancy, you can't really connect it to any programme like you can do with more advanced Polar models, but I like its simplicity. Gives me just the basic stats I need which is great.

Also, on my birthday a little cake picture appeared on the screen when I woke up which I thought was the cutest thing!!
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :) I'm still really undecided at the moment and I only have until tomorrow lol!
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where is selling them for that price? I want one too :)
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Tesco hun :) its £59 at the moment but a family member works there so I can get it for 10% off :)
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This was the cheapest HRM that I could find that didn't have negative reviews. I bought it, and I love it! If you go any cheaper, you will lose quality, choices and reliability. I've had my HRM since March and it's never disappointed me.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought my ft4 today, haven't turned it on or anything but very excited to see the estimate of calories burned since I am doing Insanity and don't go to the gym. I read a lot of positive reviews so I decided to buy it. Hope it lives up to my expectations.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't know if bodytronics delivers to the UK but try them. I got mine for $55 (~34 pounds i think)
  • Heather0123456789
    Options
    <3 mine ;)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4 but the only con I have is that when I wear it to the gym to run on the treadmill, it interferes with the HRM on the treadmill. Other then that I love the thing and was the best that I have bought.
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with mine. Go for it!
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    Options
    I'm not sure about the FT4, but I can say that I love my Polar FT60. Great investment. I got mine from BodyTronics
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the Polar FT4 but then started looking at the FT40, THEN went on to comparing it to the Suunto M4:

http://blog.heartratewatchcompany.com/2012/06/04/comparing-the-polar-ft40-heart-rate-monitor-to-the-suunto-m4/

Ended up getting the Suunto M4 and love it!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Buy it! I have had mine for 2 years, and have only changed the battery twice. Its as close to an estimate of calories burned that you can get. I bought my boyfriend a cheaper one a while back, and it sucked, it didn't detect his heart rate. So i bought him a FT4 too.
    Its great for your basic fitness needs! I love mine!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I got mine used on eBay for £35 including postage.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just picked one up for 50 quid including postage on Amazon!