Healthy Bithday cake - Heeeelllppppp!

Options
Sprmc47
Sprmc47 Posts: 82 Member
In a few days it will be my birthday, yay, and my wife wants to know what to do or make so that I can have birthday cake on my birthday. I really don't want to eat a normal one after all I have put in to not faltering. So, any recipes for health cakes, low cal cake and such that can be turned into a birthday cake?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Do you like carrot cake?

If you or your wife bake you could make cupcakes instead of a cake... much easier to portion control. Swap the eggs and oil for apple sauce or pureed fruit.

Use coloured whip cream as the icing or just use a little bit of it.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You could do a regular cake and put the cool whipped icing on it or maybe do an ice cream cake...I would think a hunk of ice cream is less fattening than a piece of cake. :)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You could do a regular cake and put the cool whipped icing on it or maybe do an ice cream cake...I would think a hunk of ice cream is less fattening than a piece of cake. :)

Depending on how you make a cake it can actually have less calories than ice cream.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I would probably just eat a slice of regular cake on my birthday, but if you really want a lower calorie option...I know I've seen recipes floating around here about making a regular cake mix with diet soda instead of milk/eggs. I'm not sure how great it is...but if you search diet soda cake it should pop up.

Or just make birthday cupcakes and limit yourself to one.
  • djenah79
    Options
    How about some angel food cake with fruit and cool whip?
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Try a soda pop cake. Taste just the same.
  • lorelei105
    lorelei105 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Look on chocolatecoveredkatie.com or chockohlawtay.blogspot.com for some wonderful healthy dessert recipes that don't taste healthy. These women know how to do amazing things with desserts!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Take a cake mix and mix it with a can of pure pumpkin. Bake it at 350 until done. Super moist and a lot healthier than regular cake. I make cookies out of this all the time and cupcakes. It's tasty!!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I just made these pumpkin spice muffins yesterday that can easily be turned into cupcakes with a little icing made of confectioner's sugar and milk.

Pumpkin Spice Muffins

1 Spice Cake Mix
    1 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
    1/2 c. water
    3 tablespoons liquid egg white

Optional Icing
    1 cup confectioner’s sugar
    1 tbs milk
    1/8 tsp of cinnamon

Mix cake mix and pumpkin together, add water and mix for 1 minute. Bake it for 20-23 mins at 350 in cupcake pans.

Without the icing, I was able to make 24 muffins that are 74 calories each!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can make a chocolate cake with chickpeas as a base, not flour.

I made chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas, they were really soft, and unless you knew what the ingredients were, you'd never be able to tell.

I saw someone on here post a cake recipe, which is what led me to the cookies, but theres tons on google that use garbanzo beans or white beans, etc instead of flour.

It should up the nurtition and lower the calories if done right.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garbanzo-bean-chocolate-cake-gluten-free/

soak the dry beans overnight, then cook them the next day (I don't like canned beans) and I add vanilla too. It is super yummy

Yummmmmm
  • ndriedger
    ndriedger Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Angel Food cake, Dream whip mix with your favourite flavour of low fat greek yogurt. Side with fruit. Delish!
  • Replace butter with apple sauce and olive oil, and make cream cheese frosting--cream cheese, a little bit of sugar, and food colouring. Also, water instead of milk. Should cut a few calories. Use whole wheat, unbleached flour, despite the extra calories, because it's better for you than bleached, processed flour.
    Happy birthday!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a smaller cake but stick with something regular and delicious. I know you're not wanting to kill your vibe, and that's great, but I'd also suggest celebrating life's moments. You don't have to go overboard and binge but just enjoy something special. Oh, and Happy Birthday!
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would do 3 layer angelfood cake with fat free cool whip and fresh cut strawberries in between the layers...YUMMY
  • Sprmc47
    Sprmc47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!! Awesome suggestions, much appreciated!!!!!!!!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    In a few days it will be my birthday, yay, and my wife wants to know what to do or make so that I can have birthday cake on my birthday. I really don't want to eat a normal one after all I have put in to not faltering. So, any recipes for health cakes, low cal cake and such that can be turned into a birthday cake?

Very, very simple: one box of cake mix and a can of sugar free fruit pie filling. Nothing else. Makes about 24 cupcakes. Don't try to make a cake with it, though, it won't work. Frost it with lite or sugar free whipped cream. My faves are chocolate cake mix with sugar free cherry pie filling or yellow cake mix with sugar free raspberry or blueberry.
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think angel cake is great. Ice cream cake is also lower in calories since it's made out of ice cream. Or else, enjoy your high calorie cake, it's your birthday man!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I can tell you this cake is awesome..

Nathan's Lemon Cake

This is a namesake because Nathan Coulon's mom baked it for his birthday every year. We've adapted this lemon cake recipe to trim the fat and calories, and it's still a moist, lemony treat.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
    Ingredients
    Cake:
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
    3 large eggs
    1 cup nonfat buttermilk
    2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Icing:
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
    1 tablespoon lemon rind
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    Lemon rind strips (optional)
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray. Dust pans with 2 tablespoons flour, and set aside.

3. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

4. Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in 2 tablespoons lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

5. Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack; remove wax paper from cake layers.

6. To prepare icing, combine powdered sugar and the remaining ingredients (except lemon rind strips) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread half of icing on top of cake. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining half of icing over top of cake. Garnish with lemon rind strips, if desired. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.

Amount per serving
    Calories: 317 Calories from fat: 27% Fat: 9.5g Saturated fat: 5.6g Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g Protein: 3.6g Carbohydrate: 55.7g Fiber: 0.6g Cholesterol: 56mg Iron: 1mg Sodium: 165mg Calcium: 52mg
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Just so you know...Birthday Cake has no calories. It's not allowed to. And even if it did, the calories would just float away when you blew out your candles anyway. That's how birthdays work. Yep. I'm quite sure there is science in there somewhere.