Full of Questions....

Options
I walk 45 minutes a day. I am 181.4 pounds, 5'6, my stride is 20", I believe I walk 2.5 mph? When I calculated it on here it said I burned 186 calories from walking. On here it says my daily calorie burn should be 301. Do I burn these calories then eat them back up to go back to 1250 calories a day?

Replies

• cutiepie32
    Options
    I walk 45 minutes a day. I am 181.4 pounds, 5'6, my stride is 20", I believe I walk 2.5 mph? When I calculated it on here it said I burned 186 calories from walking. On here it says my daily calorie burn should be 301. Do I burn these calories then eat them back up to go back to 1250 calories a day?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Yes, you eat those calories.
    No, you don't have to burn 301 calories a day - it just a guideline. If you increase your pace, you will burn more calories. Keep in mind, as you lose weight you will burn fewer calories.

Hope this helps.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what I have been told to do from the very beginning....enjoy your extra calories. :happy:
  • cutiepie32
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. I think I am finally beginning to understand!! LOL!!!
  • cutiepie32
    Options
    How aboout my total weekly calories that are 2110? Do I have to burn all of them also, or come close? What is best?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    you should eat the calories you burn, or at least enough to stay in a zone (somewhere between maintain and 1000 calories a day below maintain depending on how fast you want to try to lose).

The goal tool on here will keep you on track if you follow it. No need to start tracking things on your own. but if you really want to know the numbers behind it it goes like this.

you have a calorie intake that keeps you at maintanence weight, lets arbitrarily call that 1800 cals/day
    you have an amount of weight you would like to loose per week, lets call that 1 lb per week which equals about 500 calories a day

so to lose 1 lb per week you need to eat 1300 calories a day (1800 - 500)

now if you exercise 200 calories a day you need to ADD those calories to the above number
    (1300 + 200)
    So in this scenario you should eat about 1500 calories a day and still lose 1 lb per week average.

so the formula is this

maintain cals - loss cals + workout cals= what you should eat today