a question for you runners

Options
Hi, Last year I had a touch of frost bite on one toe. At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal but now after being outside for just a few minutes that same toe gets cold very quickly. I have spent a small fortune on different socks and none of them have done the trick. My runners do have a lot of mesh in the toe area but changing them isn't an option. I don't want to be stuck on a treadmill all winter so ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That really sucks!

hmm... I like smartwool running socks, toe socks (like injinji) are good too. Some people swear by duct taping over the mesh areas of running shoes for insulation - haven't had a need to go that far yet, but I think I might end up giving it a try this year.

I know some companies make running gaiters for over running shoes, but I've never tried them and don't know anyone who has.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not what you want to hear but I had the same thing happened to a finger 20 years ago and it still hurts today whenever it gets cold. It doesn't matter which gloves or mittens I have in it hurts long before any other finger.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of info on google, it seems most said it depends on the severity of the frost bite or in your case, probably, frost nip.
  • knitchals
    Options
    So, I ran a marathon this fall and the weather was forecast to be rainy and cold. I freaked out and brought some gore-tex running shoes. As it turns out, I really like them for winter running outside because they help keep my feet warmer. I don't know why exactly, since they are breathable, but my feet are definitely warmer - but not to the point of sweaty discomfort either.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tough break. Have you tried electric socks?
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Super easy fix: put duct tape over the meshy part of your shoes for the winter. You might have to reapply every few runs but it works amazingly well. I do this with my cycling shoes (AND wear booties over them--my feet are kind of wimpy when it comes to windchill). You could also make a cheap VPL (vapor barrier liner) by recycling plastic bags (put on a thin sock, put on a thin plastic bag, then put on another thin sock). I used to do this for skiing until I got better ski boot liners :)

I run in the snow a lot and don't wear Gore Tex shoes. However, I do wear short gaiters to keep the snow from migrating into my shoes and I do wear wool socks (which will still insulate when wet). I prefer the Injinji toe socks in wool but any good quality wool sock is worth its weight in GOLD. Good quality, and a high percentage of wool (if not 100%).

Edit to add: I have a friend with a pretty gnarly case of pernio (google it!). She controls is by wearing wool socks all of the time--running, walking, skiing, sitting around the house. She doesn't own anything else.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You likely did minor, but possibly permanent, damage to the circulation in that toe. You'll probably have some minor issues with it for a long time or even forever. It sucks, but as far as I know there's nothing to be done for it. Gore-tex shoes or even socks as someone else suggested may be enough to keep your feet warm and dry. That toe may always get cold faster, but if you can keep your feet warm and dry it won't matter much.
  • proudaunt
    Options
    Thank-you very much for the suggestions!
  • proudaunt
    Options
    q
  • proudaunt
    Options
    I am not sure if it was the duct tape and/or the plastic bag lining but it worked great!!
  • proudaunt
    Options
    Tough break. Have you tried electric socks?

Gee...I had to google this to make sure you were serious lol Apparently they even have electric mittens. Who would have known? So far, the duct tape/plastic bag combination is working but thanks for the suggestion.