how much do i really weight?

Options
I weigh myself in the morning, I weight 193. At night I weigh around 198. How much do I really weigh? I have been weighing myself every Sunday morning as soon as I stay up so it is steady, but I am just wondering, is that my real weight? Or is my real weight right before I go to bed?

Thanks

Replies

• tnewcom
    Options
    the weight in the morning right after using the restroom
  • pinkygirl1223
    Options
    This is what I've heard and what I've read. Your "true weight" is when you weight yourself in the morning first thing. I hope this helps ease your mind.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Weighing at night takes into account everything you've eaten and drunk throughout the day, which can vary. That's why I weigh in the morning after using the restroom because it's more consistent, and IMHO, more accurate picture of how I'm doing.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Obviously, if you weigh yourself at night you will have litres of liquid (which is heavy!) and a lot of the food you consumed during the day that is yet to be burned or 'gotten rid of' so you should always weigh yourself first thing in the morning - I find it's best to not eat for 12 hrs (evening meal 4 hrs before bed, then sleep 8 hours, then weigh) and that's when I find I weigh the least.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Your "real" weight is whatever weight you are when you stand on the scale. That is the mean, ugly truth. Hence the reason why ANY weight loss program/group/guru will tell you, "weigh yourself at the same time of day, regardless of when it is." Your weight will vary by several pounds in a day... food, water, exercise, using the toilet will all make changes in your weight during the course of a day. Some people might say weigh yourself in the morning when you are "empty." Some people might say weigh yourself in the evening when you are "full." Some people may say weigh yourself at noon, when you are active. It doesn't matter, as long as you are using the same measuring stick.

They will also tell you, "don't weigh yourself every day." Weight Watchers does weekly weigh-ins. When I was in the Navy and on weight control, we weighed every month. Why is that, because you will have daily fluctuations also. Water retention, hormones, that pint of ice cream or pint of beer. You will get discouraged if you see the scale going up and down, therefore, break away from the scale. Measure every week, or two, or four. Just measure less often. Like they say, a watched pot never boils.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I agree. As long as you do it at the same time every day, week, or month, you're going to be able to tell how you're doing.
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    the weight in the morning right after using the restroom

this is best time to weigh.

get up - go to the bathroom (empty your system..ahem) strip off and get on the scales.

This will be a more accurate measurement as you'll have little or no food in your digestive system and therefore you will be weighing just your body mass - always measure in the buff as you're not weighing clothin etc.

Although I don't think weight alone is a good measurement - measure key parts of your body or parts that you want to improve with a tape measure - arms, legs, neck, waist, chest, bust, hips circumferences-

measure these once a month or once every 2 months and see how your body is really changing... every week is too frequent as you won't see much of a change...

tape should be slack not pullin in skin, should be on bare skin, and should be around the widest part. keep muscles relaxed and let your midriff naturally expand - no holdin it in.

aslong as you measure in the same way at roughly the same time - should give fairly accurate results.

good luck
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Although I don't think weight alone is a good measurement - measure key parts of your body or parts that you want to improve with a tape measure - arms, legs, neck, waist, chest, bust, hips circumferences-

measure these once a month or once every 2 months and see how your body is really changing... every week is too frequent as you won't see much of a change...

tape should be slack not pullin in skin, should be on bare skin, and should be around the widest part. keep muscles relaxed and let your midriff naturally expand - no holdin it in.

aslong as you measure in the same way at roughly the same time - should give fairly accurate results.

good luck

Definitely take the measurements. When you hit a plateau (notice I didn't say "if") you will want to see the measurements, because they might be going down when the scale is rock steady.