Weight loss question Please Help

Options
Well I have been using this site for almost the five weeks and I am not even close to the weight they say I will be. Am I doing something wrong or not enough. What doesn't make any since to me is I am setup to lose 2 pounds a week but in 5 weeks it says I should weigh 40 pounds lighter. Can someone answer this for me. Thanks

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to help you. Is your food diary open to the public? I could take a look and make some suggestions for you. I have lost 49 lbs since October following the Food Lovers fat loss program. This website is great for logging in your food but does not necessarily give you the tools you need to lose weight. Following an actual food plan is the best way to go. However, you can either open your food diary to the public or to just friends and request me to be your friend. I'll help in anyway I can. Christine
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    send me a message to let me know.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Hey Bigguy.... Congrats on the 28 lbs!!!! You are an animal! Don't sweat the 40, because 28 is a major victory.

That being said, I am assuming you are talking about the little thing at the bottom of your food diary that says "In 5 weeks you will weight ____ lbs." That is based upon that days calorie intake and calories burned. It is only a "dumb" equation that goes (something) like this

Calories in - BMR - exercise calories = Deficit calories per day (actually, per THAT day)
    Deficit calories per day x 35 days/3500 calories = lbs lost (in 5 weeks)

The formula makes no account for things like water loss/ retention, development of lean muscle mass, daily variation in food intake/ exercise calories burned, your natural metabolism, etc... In fact, you will see that the message is different for each day, because unless you are just going through the motions and putting the same food and exercise down each day, you will have different calorie deficits each day.

Again, I would not focus on a "generic" message given by a "dumb" formula, but I would focus on the tremendous success you have had since the beginning of the year. Keep it up!!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    How close are you getting to the calories they tell you to eat? I would completely ignore that thing on the bottom because it changes day to day and it's not ever right anyway. Are you losing 2 pounds a week? Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ok. So maybe I misunderstood but 2lbs/per week x 5 weeks should be 10lbs lost right?
  • bigguy00
    Options
    It is open to the public. Thanks
  • dgolden10
    Options
    I have been doing this for over five weeks, and have only lost only 2 pounds. I work out and burn alot of calories, but I can never eat all those plus my regular calories. any suggestions why I'm not loosing weight.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I have been doing this for over five weeks, and have only lost only 2 pounds. I work out and burn alot of calories, but I can never eat all those plus my regular calories. any suggestions why I'm not loosing weight.

Need more information to make an educated guess. But I will try a shot in the dark.

Your ticker shows you want to lose a total of 17 lbs. That is a relatively small amount of weight (compared to those of us who have triple digits to lose). As a result, you will not be able to shed weight very fast.

So, you are losing about a 1/4 pound per week. That is good for such a small amount of total weight to lose.

Here is what might be happening...

Lets assume your BMR is in the 1700 range, and that you are trying to lose a pound a week. That means that MFP will tell you to eat 1200 calories per day. So, you set out diligently to eat your 1200 calories per day. However, your body needs more than energy than you are giving it. As a result, your BMR drops by up to 30%. So, it drops to around 1190. That means you only have a 10 calorie deficit. Throw in a little exercise, and it explains the 1/4 lb per week loss.

Try reducing your weekly weight loss goal, which will in turn increase the daily food intake. Then, make sure you eat all your calories. You might, paradoxically, see a bit more weight loss each week. But, once again, don't sweat your current weight loss, because it will be slower for you to lose in the first place.
  • BornNRaised
    Options
    Are their any diabetics on board? Newly diagnosed. And need help with the weight loss diet. I can have up to 220 carbs a day. Next week, I should be going on thyroid meds and that should help. Last week doctor pleased that I had lost 1 lb. I don't know.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey!You will drive yourself crazy,that thing changes +/-5-10 pounds on a daily basis!
    28 pounds is an amazing start,good job:flowerforyou:
  • JeanineGiorgi
    Options
    Hi there not sure if I can help (as I am in Perth Australia) but I have started using a cookbook from Annette Sym (Symply too good to be true book 5) It is an awesome book & it is designed for diabetics & those with heart issues. My dad has both & has had 2 stints put in . He was told about this book as it has all the comfort foods he likes (he hates diets) BUT they have been modified to be low fat/sugar . Hamburgers, lasagna, currys, cookies, cakes etc. My dad has lost so much weight eating normally that I have been inspired to use her books. He hasnt even been dieting. Although book 5 has a 28 day diet plan included. She has a website www.symplytoogood.com.au Also in her favour she has been endorsed by the Australian Diabetes Association so I really think it would help you. It also has against each recipe the FULL breakdown of all fats,sugars,sodium, fibre etc so easy to put in your saves. She also shows what can be frozen so you can make a few at the same time & freeze as TV dinners. They are yummy. I am down 7 kilos but have a bit to go but I can say I am still having 3 meals & 3 suppers a day & still losing (although slowly). I am going to start adding the ones I have been using online , now that I have joined up,so soon others will be able to click on if they are eating her meals from book 5. Good luck you are doing well:wink:
  • BornNRaised
    Options
    Hi there not sure if I can help (as I am in Perth Australia) but I have started using a cookbook from Annette Sym (Symply too good to be true book 5) It is an awesome book & it is designed for diabetics & those with heart issues. My dad has both & has had 2 stints put in . He was told about this book as it has all the comfort foods he likes (he hates diets) BUT they have been modified to be low fat/sugar . Hamburgers, lasagna, currys, cookies, cakes etc. My dad has lost so much weight eating normally that I have been inspired to use her books. He hasnt even been dieting. Although book 5 has a 28 day diet plan included. She has a website www.symplytoogood.com.au Also in her favour she has been endorsed by the Australian Diabetes Association so I really think it would help you. It also has against each recipe the FULL breakdown of all fats,sugars,sodium, fibre etc so easy to put in your saves. She also shows what can be frozen so you can make a few at the same time & freeze as TV dinners. They are yummy. I am down 7 kilos but have a bit to go but I can say I am still having 3 meals & 3 suppers a day & still losing (although slowly). I am going to start adding the ones I have been using online , now that I have joined up,so soon others will be able to click on if they are eating her meals from book 5. Good luck you are doing well:wink:

Thank You. I have a book along those same lines. I also use a book called Try this instead of that. Also another book called Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar. I'm keeping a list of recipes that I don't have to calculate every time. I can mix and match them. But I'm building those and not many in my box. Thanks Again.

Teresa