Cardio / Strenght Training Mix

Options
Hi,

I am trying to come up with a good excercise routine to help me slim down. I am 5 ft 2 inches tall and 134 pounds. I also cut my calories, and am aiming for 1340 net calories per day based on the recommendation from myfitnesspal.

I recently had my body fat percentage tested, and I was surprised to learn that I am 36% body fat! What types of strength training excercises should I do to help improve this number and tone my body? How much strenghth training would you recommend I do per week? How much Cardio should I be doing?

I am planning to do all of my work outs at home and would like to avoid investing in expensive excercise equipment if possible. I sweat heavily when I workout so I don't feel comfortable working out in a gym. I thought this might make a difference when it comes to excercise recommendations.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    3 times a week on non-cardio days. Since you are looking to do this at home, you can start with doing body weight routine that is geared toward a total body workout.

Up your protein intake if you are looking to retain muscle tissue (that is the point of adding resistance training). Somewhere around 30 to 35% of your caloric intake based on how your body responds, should get the job done.

This can get you started while you are researching more.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • shannonS108
    shannonS108 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Trelm! I am going to use the tips you gave me and the site you recommended to get started.