Dumbbell recommendations...

Options
Hi everyone- so I've gotten the Chalean Extreme program and began yesterday. Not realizing I definitely need heavier weights in multi-lbs sooner than later. Can you recommend a good affordable set of cap barbells or the adjustable weights that go up to at least 25 lbs each? I've done some research online and just can't figure out what is best for the $. Thanks!

Replies

• melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi, my name is Melissa, and I just started CE yesterday!!!!!! Please feel free to join our thread about it...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75369-chalean-extreme

Meanwhile, I bought 8lbs, 10lbs, and 12lbs....I should have bought 5's though, for a couple exercises.....

I went to Play it Again Sports (used equipment) and the dumbbell prices are 85 cents per pound........I am going to try to buy another set every 2 weeks or so to get up to 25lbs.................I would read our thrread, and ask any questions....our thread is really thorough and we are all lovely people :flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok Adjustable Weight Speed Pack - 25 lbs. They have worked out really well and sabe a lot of room. I don't have any problem moving the slider back and forth to get to the weight I want.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I've looked at some of the smart plate things and thought they'd be good for regular weight training, but in a more aerobic'y "toss 'em around" setup I thought they might be rattle-y. Is this a problem? Do they rattle?
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I bought this set (from Amazon, couldn't beat the price and free shipping!):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VCDXNS/ref=oss_product

So far I like this set a lot, seems to meet my needs and it's easy to change the plates. :bigsmile:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I've looked at some of the smart plate things and thought they'd be good for regular weight training, but in a more aerobic'y "toss 'em around" setup I thought they might be rattle-y. Is this a problem? Do they rattle?

It makes some clinking sounds but they don't raddle. The plates are close enough to not cause any balancing issues and they don't wake anyone up when I use them early in the morning.
  • sam4sure
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will do a little more research and see what the FI says...he too works out and I know he'd use them at home if I got them but he lifts way more weight thatn25lbs so....
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone- so I've gotten the Chalean Extreme program and began yesterday. Not realizing I definitely need heavier weights in multi-lbs sooner than later. Can you recommend a good affordable set of cap barbells or the adjustable weights that go up to at least 25 lbs each? I've done some research online and just can't figure out what is best for the $. Thanks!
    Holy cow, I just bought 3 lb. weights yesterday and thought I was doing myself proud! :blushing:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I also use the Reebok adjustable weight set that goes from 5-25 pounds. At first, I found the slide hard on my fingers when I tried to adjust it. I actually bruised my thumb doing it several time! But I've gotten used to it. I did add a set of 3 pound, 8 pound and 12 pound dumbbells because I knew I'd need the in between weights until I got stronger. I just couldn't imagine jumping from 10 to 15 pounds on some of the exercises. The three pounders were mainly for my 10 year old daughter to encourage her to join me....but I've used them on more exercises than i had thought I would :blushing:
  • sam4sure
    Options
    Holy cow, I just bought 3 lb. weights yesterday and thought I was doing myself proud! :blushing:

I actually only have 3 lb weights right now... :blushing: