Am I a pear or an hourglass???

Options
I am just not sure. I carry most of my weight in my butt and thighs but, my chest is the same circumference as my hips. My top part is not particularly smaller than my bottom part. My waist is much smaller. Is the definition where you carry your weight that makes you your shape, or is it the actual measurements themselves? I have been called a pear because my butt is big lol. Just curious on opinions out there.

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    There are ladies galore who are on this thread, some of whom are actually in a debate of what qualifies as an hourglass shape vs pear shape http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/563264-hour-glass-shaped-girls?page=17#posts-12466905

I hear that there should be a 9" difference minimum from bust line to the waistline and from the waist to hips. The bust and hips are supposed to be equal or are to be mere fractional differentials.

Edited to add: Forgive me for adding this link, which I'm reticent to do for obvious reasons, but for whatever the purpose, I hope that you'll find it useful - http://www.shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape.html

Re-edited to add as I look down: ROFL@pumpkin and cucumber, and now fruitcake. Made my day!!!! Thanks much for the bursts of humour :)

* There is also a debate, as to how one should determine an hourglass. There is a method - bust to waist to hip and then there is the shoulder - waist and hips. Shoulder, waist to hips can also determine if you are straight-figured. If you are trying to decipher if you are an hourglass then your shoulder and hips should be as I'd described above with the initial measurements, except that it is not 9" smaller than the shoulders, but it has to be 8" - 9" smaller [minimum] than your hips.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pumpkin.....:happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you could be a cucumber.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? It's shoulders and hips with a small waist. Not bust or butt.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pumpkin.....:happy:

:) Me too!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm a fruitcake.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? I have lived most of my life not knowing or caring what body shape I am. I'm guessing I'm the body shape that fits best with a man's body shape.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about mine, either
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    I'm a fruitcake.

boooooo!!!! froot loop!
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    You're a woman with curves and an *kitten*, no need to put a title on it :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If your bust measurement and your hip/butt measurement are the same or less than two inches different, you are an hourglass.

Over two inches bigger on the hips is a pear.

Bigger boobs and shoulders is a triangle.

Big boobs and no shoulders or hips is .... I don't know because it's not something I will ever be.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Gahhhh! Read.

http://www.anthropology.emory.edu/FACULTY/Rilling/ANTJR/pdf/Rilling et al EHB 2009.pdf
    For front-view stimuli, the androgen equation was a positive predictor of attractiveness. This was a counter- intuitive result, as higher ratios are typically associated with masculinity (Tanner, 1990). Shoulder width is primarily affected by androgen and estrogen exposure at puberty, prior to fusion of the epiphyseal growth plates. One possible interpretation of this finding is suggested by the observation that early-maturing, healthy populations such as US popula- tions have very high levels of the adrenal androgen DHEAS for their age and pubertal stage (Worthman, 1999). High levels of DHEAS should broaden shoulders. Thus, broad shoulders could signal health and good nutrition during pubertal development.

For side-view stimuli, mid-arm circumference was a negative predictor of attractiveness. In most cases, large mid- arm circumference is indicative of fat accumulation in the arms. Weight was actually a positive predictor for side-view stimuli. However, given that waist circumference and mid- arm circumference are negative predictors, this would have to be weight that is not concentrated in the abdominal region or in the arms. One possibility is that the “attractive” weight is concentrated in gluteofemoral fat, which has been linked with cognitive and neurodevelopment of infants (Lassek & Gaulin, 2006).

For back-view stimuli, chest circumference was a negative predictor. Chest circumference is affected by breast size, but also by trunk breadth and thickness, which can include fat deposits on the back. Chest-to-underchest ratio was a positive predictor of attractiveness for back-view stimuli. This was unexpected given that breast size cannot be viewed from the back-view stimuli. However, chest-to- underchest ratio may be correlated with the ratio of the width of the upper to mid back region, and this may be what raters find attractive, though this would require further investiga- tion. Finally, the length of the fourth digit on the right hand was a positive predictor of attractiveness in this view. We consider it unlikely that raters are specifically attending to this trait, but rather something correlated with it that we have not measured, and that is perhaps related to prenatal androgen exposure.

Read the whole study, that's just a tiny bit. ;)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    haha you guys are funny. I am just curious because people keep putting a title on me and it is irritating.
  • FitpetiteKP
    FitpetiteKP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Height To Waist

To find your waist to height ratio take your current waist measurement and divide it by your height in inches. If you are 5’2 and have a waist of 30 inches then you would divide 30 by 62 and get .48. Meaning your waist is 48 percentage of your height.

• Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
    • Ratio 35 to 42: Extremely Slim
    • Ratio 42 to 49: Healthy
    • Ratio 49 to 54: Overweight
    • Ratio 54 to 58: Seriously Overweight
    • Ratio over 58: Highly Obese

Waist To Shoulders = 1:1.618 (Goal waist x 1.618 = Ideal shoulders)

Waist to Hips = 1:1.4 (Goal waist x 1.4 = Ideal Hips)

Reference Studies:

A. Romero-Corral, V. K. Somers, J. Sierra-Johnson, R. J. Thomas, M. L. Collazo-Clavell, J. Korinek, T. G. Allison, J. A. Batsis, F. H. Sert-Kuniyoshi & F. Lopez-Jimenez (June 2008). “Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general population”. International Journal of Obesity 32 (6): 959–956. doi:10.1038/ijo.2008.11. PMID 18283284.

Benedict c. Jones and Lisa M. deBruine (2007) - University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland and anthony c. Little - University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland. “Perception & Psychophysics” 2007, 69 (8), 1273-1277.

Singh D (December 2002). “Female mate value at a glance: relationship of waist-to-hip ratio to health, fecundity and attractiveness”. Neuro Endocrinol. Lett.. 23 Suppl 4: 81–91. PMID 12496738.

Singh D (August 1993). “Adaptive significance of female physical attractiveness: role of waist-to-hip ratio”. J Pers Soc Psychol 65 (2): 293–307. doi:10.1037/0022-3514.65.2.293. PMID 8366421.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? I have lived most of my life not knowing or caring what body shape I am. I'm guessing I'm the body shape that fits best with a man's body shape.

This is why you are awesome!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    haha you guys are funny. I am just curious because people keep putting a title on me and it is irritating.

What is wrong with people that they do this or even think about it? I never think about what "shape" other people are. Why would anyone care? People usually just tell me I am small with a "ghetto booty". That's fine. Any other scrutiny and I get annoyed.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    ok, I think I am an hourglass then. Damn the people that think I am a pear lol
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I don't get upset really, it is just a bit annoying that they are judging me in that way. My good friend is really into that show Triny and Suzanne.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

What is wrong with people that they do this or even think about it? I never think about what "shape" other people are. Why would anyone care? People usually just tell me I am small with a "ghetto booty". That's fine. Any other scrutiny and I get annoyed.

yeah, I hate being labeled. I'm me. :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    [

Finally, the length of the fourth digit on the right hand was a positive predictor of attractiveness in this view.

Yea, man I love the ladies with that long fourth digit. Whew!! Soooo Hot!