Alcohol and Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i love vodka and sprite zero! it's usually something you'd have to make at home or with friends since bars usually don't have sprite zero. At bars I get rum and diet coke or vodka with soda water and lime wedges. :)
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    Not drinking will certainly help your weight loss, but that isn't realistic as you want to adjust your lifestyle to a permanent one so that you don't see this "change" as a "diet".

Have a look at what is on offer where you live. I switched from sugar heavy drinks to lower cal options... eg Skinny Girl cocktails, vodka and soda, low carb beers.

I hope that helps you :)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I am not trying to lose weight, but even with maintaining my weight, I still drink once a week - sometimes twice. The only thing I drink is wine (the calories are pretty high) as I really enjoy it. I am pretty good at sticking to my calorie limit, but I usually drink on the days that I feel like eating what I want without worrying about counting calories. I mean, I still don't consume to my hearts content by eating entire pizzas, cakes, and an entire bottle of wine on my "free days", but one glass (2 tops for me) with my dinner once a week has not made me gain weight or notice any negative effects on my fitness. If you are worried about how much you drink, you can always cut down and see how that makes you feel, but I think as long as you drink in moderation (stay within your calorie limit regularly) and don't make it a daily activity (and you don't drink high quantities when you do choose to drink alcohol), you should be okay - especially if you are active. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    The main issue I see with alcohol is when someone "parties" a little too hard, cognition goes out the door and they may drink way more then they intended thereby surplusing in calories.
    But if your intake can be kept within your calorie restriction, then you should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is OK, as long as you log it. Stumbled upon this piece of information from the BBC yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20874204
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Flavored vodkas with diet sodas or club soda are the way to go if you like sweet drinks. Or if you're a margarita girl (as I can be on occasion), there are some margarita-flavored sugar free drink mixes (I have the one by Target - Market Pantry) that you can blend with an oz or two of good tequila. I have also been known to blend frozen mango chunks with 3 ounces of tequila in a food processor...it makes a mango margarita sorbet, and it rocks!!

I did an experiment during my weight loss last year...I went completely alcohol-free for 9 weeks while I did Insanity. It did not affect my weight loss at all. But it is different for everyone...I think that as long as you keep it within your calorie allowance (and that means to make it at home and measure your alcohol so you know for sure that you're not going over), you should be just fine. Cheers! :drinker:
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like vodka, club soda and Mio. Adds flavour without the calories. And you can change it up!
  • mitch356356
    Options
    I drink every Friday, without fail! Hard week at work, being healthy etc, I feel like I deserve it.

It hasn't hindered my weight loss, in fact, it's helped.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think drinking is okay sometimes, I have usually one night a month where I binge drink and I've been okay. But if I'm just having one drink, like if I'm at dinner with friends...I always stay away from beer...either get red wine, or a clear liquor with a diet soda. Everything is okay with a little moderation. Remember, it's a lifestyle, not a diet!