How to add flavor to smoothies without fruit?

Options
I'm going on a pretty strict cutting diet & I normally add 4 strawberries to my morning protein smoothie. But, my trainer says I can't have any fruit, not even a few strawberries. So any suggestions on what I can add instead for flavor? TIA!

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I'd be a little concerned if my trainer said I couldn't have any fruit. But each to their own I guess

What about vanilla/mint/orange extracts? I often add cinnamon, or peanut butter/pb2
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    I'd be a little concerned if my trainer said I couldn't have any fruit. But each to their own I guess

What about vanilla/mint/orange extracts? I often add cinnamon, or peanut butter/pb2

I think it's a bit severe too, she won't even allow a little almond milk on my morning oatmeal. I literally use like 1/4 cup on my oatmeal every morning & she says no more of that either.
  • Get120
    Get120 Posts: 56
    Options
    PB2 is great in smoothies =) and instant oats.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I agree. No fruit? I TRULY don't think 4 strawberries will stand in the way of fitness goals.

However ...

Well, wait. I don't have anything. I don't add artificial sweetners, etc. to anything.

My FAVE post-workout smoothie is:

2 scoops choc protein powder
    2 TB peanut butter
    big handful of kale(destemmed) or baby spinach
    1/2 banana
    ice
    water

Milk-shake consistency. YUMMMMM
  • dukeninja
    dukeninja Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I add double concentrate squash to my smoothies.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm a no fruit person, but I do occassionally have a few strawberries or blueberries, just not a regulat basis. I like PB2 in my plain greek yogurt.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'd add vanilla extract and maybe orange, lemon, or lime peel. It will add quite a kick of fruit flavor without the calories or carbs.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

I think it's a bit severe too, she won't even allow a little almond milk on my morning oatmeal. I literally use like 1/4 cup on my oatmeal every morning & she says no more of that either.

It's totally up to you, but If I were you I'd be getting another opinion on your diet. Sounds like something that strict is going to have you missing out on nutrients
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    plain old cocoa powder. I use a vanilla flavored protein powder as most chocolate powders use cocoa processed with alkali (dutch process) which cuts down the level of antioxidants and generally good stuff that exists in plain cocoa powder broma process.

Hershey's Cocoa is just fine. Any decent cocoa powder that is not Dutch process.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I agree. No fruit? I TRULY don't think 4 strawberries will stand in the way of fitness goals.

However ...

Well, wait. I don't have anything. I don't add artificial sweetners, etc. to anything.

My FAVE post-workout smoothie is:

2 scoops choc protein powder
    2 TB peanut butter
    big handful of kale(destemmed) or baby spinach
    1/2 banana
    ice
    water

Milk-shake consistency. YUMMMMM
    Sounds tasty...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I can't agree with the advice that you are getting from your "trainer". I eat a very low carb diet (for health reasons) but berries are definitely something that you could add to your smoothie. In fact, since a protein smoothie is processed (a food not in it's natural form) I think you SHOULD add something unprocessed.

I make smoothies that have grass fed whey protein powder plus natural nut butters (not peanut) and berries. Sometimes I add almond milk, coconut milk or MCT oil.

(She recommends oatmeal and protein powders but not berries or almonds.... something is wrong with this picture; are you PAYING her? Please don't.)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

That's way too strict....I'd find someone else to be very honest with you.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

With all due respect, your trainer needs an education on human physiology.

This
  • Willarogers1
    Willarogers1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Crystal light makes a great smoothie, great with wine too... lol must put that out of my mind
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I'm going on a pretty strict cutting diet & I normally add 4 strawberries to my morning protein smoothie. But, my trainer says I can't have any fruit, not even a few strawberries. So any suggestions on what I can add instead for flavor? TIA!

That makes no sense what your trainer said. Why not just get a flavor of protein you like and drink it as is, why add stuff?
    They make many flavors.

How does this make more sense than what the trainer said? Yes, I use whey protein on occasion to replace breakfast, but I don't fool myself that it's healthy, grass fed or not. Drinking powders that are flavoured and sweetened (artificially or not) sure isn't an improvement on adding a natural food. Adding healthy stuff to the protein powder just makes sense to me. That includes strawberries.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'd fire my trainer. Is she certified to give nutritional advice? Check on that. If so, then ok. But, probably, my guess, is that she is not.

(Sorry for the extremely awkward sentence).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Crystal light makes a great smoothie, great with wine too... lol must put that out of my mind

The advice is getting better by the minute. Not.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Anyone who blacklists strawberries should not be trusted to give nutritional advice.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've made one with slimfast and sugar free jello powder.
  • crisandra
    Options
    I use different types of tea in my smoothies. That adds flavor without calories or additives.