Asthma and excersize?

happy_heather121
happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Hello there everyone!

I have suffered with asthma my entire life. I am getting really frustrated because I can't do things like run, even walking briskly or very many cardio machines at the gym without having asthma attacks. THis makes it very hard to loose weight, plus it really makes me feel out of shape!

Can anyone help me come up with workouts to do that won't trigger my attacks but still get my heart rate up and allow me to loose weight?

I would really appreciate it!

Heather

Replies

• happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Hello there everyone!

I have suffered with asthma my entire life. I am getting really frustrated because I can't do things like run, even walking briskly or very many cardio machines at the gym without having asthma attacks. THis makes it very hard to loose weight, plus it really makes me feel out of shape!

Can anyone help me come up with workouts to do that won't trigger my attacks but still get my heart rate up and allow me to loose weight?

Heather
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    swimming, very good one. What about asking your doctor to give you a preventative medication that will allow you to do exercise. I know there are a lot of asthma medications out there that are tuned toward long term suppression, I don't know if you've tried them or not, or if your doctor even recommends them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
  • KariandCo
    KariandCo Posts: 29
    Swimming's great - it's my current favorite and I have asthma, too. But you have to be careful - my son (also cursed with asthma) has bad reactions to chlorine and absolutely has to take a fast-acting inhaler prior to getting in the pool, whereas he can be on a treadmill or eliptical for an hour and not have any problems.

But you do get a big calorie bang for your buck with swimming, and it works your entire body at once. Even just treading water!
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    i am asthmatic and have fibro
    i find the trick is too use my inhaler before exercise or swimming
    do it little by little to build up your stamina and if your asthma is out of control go back to your doctor
    for advice
    they really should be snsuring asthma is properly controlled if possible
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have had problems with asthma too. I read that over 90% of people with asthma can control it with medication so there are no symptoms. As others mentioned, ask your doctor for long-acting preventive medicines. Then, before exercising, either use a fast-acting inhaler or singulair. I spent a lot of years avoiding exercise too before I found out that symptoms can be controlled. I swim, do yoga, and elliptical, and make sure to manage my asthma meds so I remain symptomless. Hope this helps & Good luck!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I forgot to mention, if your asthma is caused by allergies, allergy shots might help reduce the need for meds. Also, WebMD has a good page about asthma.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    My husband is a Resp Therapist and he helps organize fund raisers for kids who have asthma to go to camp. Swimming is great he says. He also said that you should be able to brisk walk and run if you are taking proper care of your asthma. He said to call your local hospital and talk to a resp therapist. They should be able to assist you with any question(s) you may have. Call the hospital and ask for Respiratory dept. Good luck to you.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Hello there everyone!

Heather
    Hi Heather,

I've had asthma since i was about 5 or 6.
    Which inhalers do you take?
    I use Advair twice a day and carry my albuterol inhaler in my purse just incase but I haven't used it in months. My asthma has gotten under control ever since I started using this website. You will get better at your exercises as you go along. I am now able to do Tae Bo (45 minutes is the longest I've done so far), Turbo Jam, about 2 hours of walking/jogging, I jog in place... the possibilities are endless and I know asthma can hold you back. Just don't lose faith, don't give up.

Here are a few things that I would like you to check out:

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/exercise-induced-asthma

http://www.asthmainfoline.com/Good-Management-Asthma-Exercise-Practices-Are-Vital.html

http://www.priorityhealth.com/classesresources/asthma/exercise/

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Welcome and best of luck to you!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    hi there

i am asthmatic as well, i love swimming but have to say that i try not to go more then twice a week before of the chlorine. but definitly is a good work out.

i noticed that i always had a lot of trouble breathing when i went pass the parfume section in stores ...so i tryed a little experiement at home. i got rid of allll cleaning and beauty products with chemicals. i couldnt belive how much better i was, and how fast !! i went from using my pump from once a day to once a month or so.. now i use plant based products, or simple things like vinegar and carbonated soda and lemon juice and a steam cleaner. then i went back home for 2 weeks and my asthmas was back with a vangence.. just a little insight in what they put in those good smelling sprays we put in the air.

hope that helps !
    may
This discussion has been closed.