Any vegetarians who added fish back in?

Options
Hello all, I have been a vegetarian for six years and LOVE it. It has pretty much removed fast food from my diet, with the exception of the occasional taco bell run lol.

I never want to eat a burger again, or bacon, or hot dogs or steak. I am content with substitutes and absolutely prefer some to the real thing, such as eggplant parmesan over chicken and grilled portabella mushrooms over steak.

However, my hair has thinned and I am often anemic. I fall short of my protein goal more than I would like. Since seafood grosses me out the least, I am thinking about adding it back in. My questions for those who have done this/know someone who did are:

1. Did you have any sickness from it/how slowly do you think I should go?
2. Were there enough benefits to be worth it? Any change at all?
3. Which sea critters are the most beneficial? I know I really liked scallops and salmon way back when but I hear salmon is a high-fat fish?
4. Anything else you think would help, thanks!

Replies

• padfoot3179
    padfoot3179 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian for a bit but found it difficult living with several other non vegetarians. That may change soon. People who consume fish as their only meat are called piscatarians. When I was eating only fish I ate a lot of salmon, trout and tuna. Salmon is considered a super food and can be broiled, seared, baked or dried out for lox. It has a ton of omega 3 and fatty acids which are very good for you.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian for a bit but found it difficult living with several other non vegetarians. That may change soon. People who consume fish as their only meat are called piscatarians. When I was eating only fish I ate a lot of salmon, trout and tuna. Salmon is considered a super food and can be broiled, seared, baked or dried out for lox. It has a ton of omega 3 and fatty acids which are very good for you.

That sounds promising, I do remember liking salmon. And I forgot about tuna completely! thanks =]
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The reason why it's not recommended to eat fish is because of the high mercury levels thanks to pollution. But if you still decide to eat fish I would suggest Alaskan Sockeye Salmon. Salmon has lot's of protein and a very high level of Omega 3 fatty acids. It also happens to be less contaminated than most other fish. Just make sure it's wild caught.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering vegan. I eat fish every now and then for three reasons:

I really should eat more protein.

Tilapia is cheap.

If I go to a restaurant, fish is usually the healthiest option, as if there is a vegetarian option at all, it's often just loaded with cheese.
    I've noticed absolutely no difference in my health since I started with sea-food (and eggs and raw milk) after 4 years vegan on top of 8 years vegetarian.

But I never had any negative health consequences, such as anemia or hair loss.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The reason why it's not recommended to eat fish is because of the high mercury levels thanks to pollution. But if you still decide to eat fish I would suggest Alaskan Sockeye Salmon. Salmon has lot's of protein and a very high level of Omega 3 fatty acids. It also happens to be less contaminated than most other fish. Just make sure it's wild caught.

Well that's scary, maybe I don't need fish. I could just eat more eggs or something..
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eggplant and mushrooms are not meat (protein) substitutes, they are produce containing little more than fibre, water and a few micronutrients. Virtually no protein, fat or indeed calories! By all means eat fish, but vegetarian friendly meat substitutes include reduced fat cheeses, yoghurt, eggs especially whites, nuts, seeds, protein powders. You absolutely should be eating a ton of certain nuts and seeds as a veggie to get enough short chain omega-3s (conversion to long chain can be as low as 10%) and plenty of dairy for minerals.

The health benefits of long chain omega-3s (essential fats in certain fish) FAR outweigh any small risks of pollution, just choose your fish carefully if you are concerned. You can purchase omega-enriched eggs and marine algae supplements but you still need to take huge 'doses'. Are you getting enough vitamin B12, iron, calcium or vitamin D if you don't eat much dairy or eggs and no meat or fish? Protein is only one issue with a poorly balanced vegetarian diet. There is loads of sensible advice on various vegetarian and vegan charity or society, not too much silly scaremongering.
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating a ton of fish, there's really no reason to worry about mercury.
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 15+ years and I am thinking about adding fish back into my diet as well. I have PCOS and cannot lose weight because my diet is not as high in protien as it should be. Have you been checked for PCOS--it does come with an accompanying hair loss....unfortunately..... My issue is that I because a vegetarian for reasons that it is hard to overcome--namely I don't like the texture of muscle (sorry....I know that's gross!). I would love to hear how you proceed and it you have success.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Well that's scary, maybe I don't need fish. I could just eat more eggs or something..

Oh no if you have to chose between fish and eggs I would recommend fish. Eggs are loaded with cholesterol. But if you do eat eggs I think you probably already know the least unhealthy ones are the organic free range chicken on a vegetarian fed diet eggs. And be careful with everything you hear about mercury not being bad. Its extremely bad for you even at microscopic levels. It's probably one of the reasons doctors sometimes tell pregnant women not to eat fish.
  • Firefox7275
    Options
    Oh no if you have to chose between fish and eggs I would recommend fish. Eggs are loaded with cholesterol. But if you do eat eggs I think you probably already know the least unhealthy ones are the organic free range chicken on a vegetarian fed diet eggs. And be careful with everything you hear about mercury not being bad. Its extremely bad for you even at microscopic levels. It's probably one of the reasons doctors sometimes tell pregnant women not to eat fish.

Far more doctors tell pregnant women not to take most prescription and over the counter medications, eat unpasteurised dairy, drink any alcohol, use many essential oils and a host of other things - are you suggesting we all adhere to this restrictive lifestyle? A rapidly dividing embryo/ foetus or even newborn is not an adult human. There is plenty of evidence linking omega-3s and healthy development.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Far more doctors tell pregnant women not to take most prescription and over the counter medications, eat unpasteurised dairy, drink any alcohol, use many essential oils and a host of other things - are you suggesting we all adhere to this restrictive lifestyle? A rapidly dividing embryo/ foetus or even newborn is not an adult human. There is plenty of evidence linking omega-3s and healthy development.

Well that's great. And you think only eggs and fish contain omega 3's? You can get those nutrients without the cholesterol and mercury.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about 20 years and added fish in about 10 years ago. It is highly recommended to eat oily fish and it is a great source of protein and likely to help with your hairloss etc. The person who is scaremongering about mercury is way over the top. unless you are eating excessive amounts of fish this is not a problem.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Ok well I didn't come in here telling people not to eat fish or egs. Everyone can do whatever they want with their body. Matter of fact I told her what the least unhealthy fish and eggs options are. Anyways if you(Victoria) would like to learn more about the vegan health benefits I recommend you watch a documentary on netflix called "FORKS OVER KNIVES" I think you can also watch it for free on their website. It's very interesting and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • Firefox7275
    Options
    Well that's great. And you think only eggs and fish contain omega 3's? You can get those nutrients without the cholesterol and mercury.

Can you? Long chain omega-3s (DHA and EPA) are only in useful amounts in oily fish and some eggs, short chain are converted to the useable long chain format at rates which can be as low as 10%, tho may be higher in vegetarians eating a balanced diet. If you do the maths it means eating prohibitive amounts of raw ground flax seeds so I generally recommend my nutrition clients eat omega eggs AND take a marine algae supplement.

The amount of long chain omega-3s in other wholefoods like seed or grass fed dairy are paltry, of course you can purchase algae supplements or flax oil, processed foods to make up for a diet that is inately deficient. By all means be vegan or vegetarian for moral reasons but don't fool anyone it's easy to eat a truly nutritious and balanced diet without the intervention of food scientists.

BTW it's been known for years that the cholesterol in eggs has no effect on our own cholesterol levels or balance.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've been pescetarian for a year and a half. I don't eat fish every day, but try to get it in a few times a week. I get most of my protein through whey protein powder, dairy (mainly Greek yogurt), and eggs. Feel free to add me or look at my diary (although today is my first day back logging in about a week). My protein goal is around 130g and I'm usually pretty close to that :D
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Can you? Long chain omega-3s (DHA and EPA) are only in useful amounts in oily fish and some eggs, short chain are converted to the useable long chain format at rates which can be as low as 10%, tho may be higher in vegetarians eating a balanced diet. If you do the maths it means eating prohibitive amounts of raw ground flax seeds so I generally recommend my nutrition clients eat omega eggs AND take a marine algae supplement.

The amount of long chain omega-3s in other wholefoods like seed or grass fed dairy are paltry, of course you can purchase algae supplements or flax oil, processed foods to make up for a diet that is inately deficient. By all means be vegan or vegetarian for moral reasons but don't fool anyone it's easy to eat a truly nutritious and balanced diet without the intervention of food scientists.

I get my omega 3's from shots of wheatgrass, Spirulina, chlorella, flax seeds and certain cereals containing hemp seeds.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescatarian for about 2 years, and was a vegetarian for 6 years before that! Your questions (just to make it easy so I don't keep scrolling back up!)
    1. Did you have any sickness from it/how slowly do you think I should go?
    I started slowly and would it eat once a week, usually from a restaurant and didn't notice anything different. I did feel like I had more options though and it made going out to eat much easier.
    2. Were there enough benefits to be worth it? Any change at all?
    For me, yes! I still struggle with wanting to go back to vegetarian but I find I can eat more whole foods (only one ingredient is how I define it) such as grilled shrimp or broiled salmon and not rely so much on processed veggie burgers/proteins. Salmon is my favorite and provides healthy fats too : ) I do notice that with my hair and my overall energy, too. Very versatile too! I don't get do bored when cooking on my own.
    3. Which sea critters are the most beneficial? I know I really liked scallops and salmon way back when but I hear salmon is a high-fat fish?
    Salmon has great fats for you! Definitely a good choice. I always opt for wild salmon rather than farm raised because it is noted to have more benefits and its just overall more animal friendly : ) though a little more $. I also eat shrimp because of low calories, but the cholesterol is high so I limit it to once a week. Canned tuna in water is another easy one, just check up on the company online to note mercury content!
    4. Anything else you think would help, thanks!
    I'll go through phases where I'll eat a lot of fish and then none at all. I mostly eat fish at restaurants and then stick to vegetarian meals at home. However, I just bought some salmon to change it up a bit! I like the protein and the taste. Hope this helps!
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i was vegetarian for 10 years and something just changed and i started eating meat again, I would say my hair and skin has improved...theres a lot more healthy versions of fish ect than most veg dishes when eating out.

I'm not sure I would recommend it as an instant solution - ie i have eaten some salmon my hairs better now, it takes a while to kick in but theres no reason to not eat it if you like it
  • Firefox7275
    Options
    I get my omega 3's from shots of wheatgrass, Spirulina, chlorella, flax seeds and certain cereals containing hemp seeds.

So short chain omega-3s from processed/ food science products then? Have you calculated how much omega-3 you take in, and done a rough conversion to the useable long chain format? Do you know what the critical omega-6 to omega-3 ratio is given you eat hemp and cereal grains? Too much omega-6 inhibits conversion (as does an excess of saturates in a meat-centric diet).
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I recently started eating fish again after a couple years veggie (not much, I remember maybe every two weeks to try to eat it, so I'm a failed pescetarian convert most of the time). I got a bit of an upset tummy the first two times, but nothing horrible. Just eat small amounts- single servings to start.

*Also- The poster saying oh no don't eat eggs, they have cholesterol....Yes, they do, and cholesterol is an important part of any diet. GOOD cholesterol is necessary for many bodily functions including the production of sleep hormones. I was getting barely any cholesterol or saturated fats in my diet for a while and I wasn't getting restful sleep, I was tired all the time, etc. Integrating healthy cholesterols through eggs, nuts, legumes, etc might help op with some of the issues she's been seeing. All in moderation.