Options
Hello, my name is Linda. I went to the doctor's yesterday and he wasn't happy. I weigh more now than I ever have. You know how you say, "I'll never go above_____well, I went beyond that. Sooo..here I am!

Replies

• mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Hey Linda, I know exactly what you mean!!! I stepped on the scale to weigh a turkey on Christmas, and misread the scale, thinking I passed 300lbs. That was it for me. Fortunately, as I said I misread the scale, and it was 20 lbs less than I thougtht. However, as I said here I am. I am now lighter than I have been for over a year, probably closer to three.

Advice for MFP newbies:

1. If you don’t already have one, buy a wok.
    Stir fry is quick, easy, filling, and yummy!!!!
    2. If you don’t already have one, buy a food scale.
    You might be surprise at how much (or little) something really weighs.
    3. If you haven’t already done so, take before pictures.
    You will want them when you lose your weight.
    4. If you haven’t already done so, take your measurements (neck, chest, hips, waist).
    You will hit a plateau (not if, but when) and when you do, you will be happy to see your measurements go down, even if your weight doesn’t.
    5. Make sure you eat all your allotted calories. Failure to do so could send you into starvation mode, and you will not lose weight.
    You will see debate regarding exercise calories… my suggestion is that it depends on the person. But always eat at least as many calories as your BMR.
    6. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
    It flushes your system, as well as keeping your cells hydrated. Coffee, tea, sodas, etc… do not count.
    7. Make sure you exercise.
    I bet you didn’t get here because you exercised too much.
    8. If you don’t have one, get a heart rate monitor.
    Make sure it has a chest strap, and make sure it records calories burned. You will find that exercise machines are inaccurate, and the calorie numbers given in the exercise diary are just guesses for somebody else’s body.
    9. Don’t give up… if you feel like you haven’t lost any weight, check your measurements and look at your before pictures.
    If you are still discouraged, get some support here at MFP!!!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, personally I think this is a fabulous place to be. Well wishes on your journey through weight loss and better health. Stay consistent, motivated and keep your will power strong and you will get there. Remember, this is a life style change, and these do take time, so be patient with yourself and accept every step with a smile on your face :) You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • lindaruz
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions. I'll take them all into consideration! Luckily for me, my husband wants to lose weight too so that will be a big help in the cooking meals department. I just can't believe that I let myself gain this weight! UGH!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Your hubby will be your biggest ally!!! If he isn't already, make sure you get him onto MFP also.

My wife has been such a support for me, and I hope the other way around too. When I have been unmotivated, she lifts me up. When she has struggled, I have tried to keep her focused. We are both celebrating our successes and planning on more to come.