Do you have to eat all of the calories you burned exercising

Options
I am sure this is a question that has been asked before, but I have been working at this for awhile now and the weight is coming off a little more slowly than I would like- it is coming off, and I am noticing a difference in how my clothes fit (a big difference, considering I've only lost 7 lbs since the beginning of January), but it is frustrating to see the scale moving so slowly- often, I don't eat all of the calories that myfitnesspal says I should after working out- I assumed that I could eat them, but didn't have to- am I wrong about this? I just want to get the numbers dropping a little bit faster. I've got my settings arranged to lose 1.5 lbs per week, but I've lost closer to 1 lb per week, and I'm not sure if I should be eating more or less- and I really don't want to just jump in and eat more if it ends up setting me back 2 lbs by the end of the week. :wink:

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• karoberto23
    Options
    Great question, I am new and am interested in knowing the same thing. My guess is it's different for everyone. Hopefully, some well experienced members can shed some light for us. Best of luck!
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had this problem when I started too. Here's what I think:

1. Get a HR monitor to see how many calories you are actually burning when you exercise - unfortunately, it is probably much less than you think. For example, when I do a short workout on my elliptical - the machine says I burn 205 calories, but when I wear my HR monitor, I actually burn only about 165. These can be pricey, but WELL WORTH IT.

2. Log EVERYTHING you eat - I mean even bites of things. These things add up quick. Usually the things we only take one bite of just for the taste are the worst things in terms of calories. Example: the other day I really wanted some of the AWESOME english Toffee I got for Valentines Day. I ate ONE BITE and realized it was about 85 calories!!!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!

3. Also, Yes, make sure you come as close to your target calories every day - NET. That means to eat your exercise calories - to an extent. If you are burning 1000 calories a day, I wouldn't increase my intake by that much, but if you burn say 400 then yes.

4. DRINK MORE WATER!!!!!!!!

5. Eat these types of foods: fiber, good fats (MUFA) like avocado, nuts, seeds, canola oil, etc. Whenever I find I stop losing at a good pace, I find that I am also eating junk like Taco Bell (yea, but the Fresco taco only has 160 calories! True, but junk.)

These things work for me. Stick to it!!! You can do it!

Also, after initial loss, I think everyone slows down a little, and a little more when you approach your goal. :) Hope this helps.:smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Guys...please read the main topics that are tacked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

This is on the main page of General Diet and Weight Loss Help.
  • DeidreJean
    DeidreJean Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks all- I just read a very helpful post from another member- still figuring out all the information on the site. Thanks again!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes you should be eating all of your excise calories, or at least most of them. People do different things, but if you're not eating all of them and you're not losing as fast as you want, then try eating all of them. The only time I don't is if I went over the day before and I have an insane amount of calories to eat, I figure I could use the cushion. I know it seems slow, but 1 pound a week is the best way to go. Anything more is really only recommended for people who have a LOT of weird to lose, like over 100. You have about the same amount to lose that I did, so I think you'd be much better off with your settings at 1 pound a week. Some weeks I lost 1, but it seemed more often than not, I'd lose 2 or 3.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Guys...please read the main topics that are tacked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

This is on the main page of General Diet and Weight Loss Help.

Yes I would read them too, but I understand that it's a pain to find, and when you are new, you just want some real and quick answers. Most of what you find in the links is great info, but not always reality. I can attest to this and you may have to do some of your own trial and error - but it's nice to see some ideas of what works for others. Good luck!!!