Moving in with vegans...

Options
At the end of January my husband and I will be moving in with two vegans. My husband and I still eat meat (me only chicken). I could definitely do a plant based diet but he doesn't want to. Any tips for keeping everyone fed and happy?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Can everyone take care of their own food? There is SO much more to being vegan than not eating meat

It would be much less of a headache if everyone purchased, prepared and only ate their own food.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty sure it's their responsibility to make their own food. Unless you discussed and agreed to anything else, continue to eat as you do now and let your husband to do the same.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Take care of your own meals.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do they mind if you store, cook and eat meat in their house? When they're home or not? It sounds like you're moving into their space and you need to discuss this with them ahead of time.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Do they mind if you store, cook and eat meat in their house? When they're home or not? It sounds like you're moving into their space and you need to discuss this with them ahead of time.

I agree with this and forgot to point it out. If the place you are moving into is theirs you need to ask them about their preferences in regards to meat.

I have a friend who is vegan and dislikes anyone bringing meat, or anything containing animal products into her house. While she is understanding of the lifestyles of those who will eat meat and animal products she chooses not to have them in her house.

You will have to make compromises in regards to food, food storage and cooking when living with vegans.
  • padfoot3179
    padfoot3179 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We are renting a large apartment with them. They don't mind us cooking meat but I don't want them getting sick from the small or anything. They are actually my brother in law and future sister in law. They have a baby due in June and I figured it would be nice of me to step in ad cook some meals for them.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    We are renting a large apartment with them. They don't mind us cooking meat but I don't want them getting sick from the small or anything. They are actually my brother in law and future sister in law. They have a baby due in June and I figured it would be nice of me to step in ad cook some meals for them.

I would think that they would be the first people to go to for advice. Vegans need to be very aware about their nutrition, and especially if your future sister-in-law is breastfeeding, they may have some fairly specific needs for a while.

Cooking meals is a really nice thing to do. Soups are very easy to prepare vegan (think bean soups, pea soups, squash soups, etc.), plus they can be cooked in big batches and frozen.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    If you will be cooking meals for them ensure you know what is vegan and what is not vegan.

There are a lot of things you would think would be ok for a vegan diet but aren't. For example, Jello is not vegan. Regular cake is not vegan... cookies, etc. Eggs, milk, cheeses, a lot of frozen/packaged foods, a lot of restaurant foods (Mcdonald's fries for example are not vegan in the US)

Speak with them .... they need to be comfortable eating foods you make since the diet they follow is a lot more strict than most people.

I don't think they will get sick from the smell... you just need to ensure all utensils, pots/pans, etc are cleaned properly if they are using them after you cook meat.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    At the end of January my husband and I will be moving in with two vegans. My husband and I still eat meat (me only chicken). I could definitely do a plant based diet but he doesn't want to. Any tips for keeping everyone fed and happy?

You may always prepare veggie pasta dishes. Look for whole wheat pastas (check the ingredients - no eggs). Barilla pasta is oft times vegan friendly. What would qualify as a pasta side dish for you is a main meal for them, so compensate for servings when cooking. Oh and no cheese.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I agree with this and forgot to point it out. If the place you are moving into is theirs you need to ask them about their preferences in regards to meat.

I have a friend who is vegan and dislikes anyone bringing meat, or anything containing animal products into her house. While she is understanding of the lifestyles of those who will eat meat and animal products she chooses not to have them in her house.

You will have to make compromises in regards to food, food storage and cooking when living with vegans.

I think this, although for me, this would be a dealbreaker. I wouldn't mind eating an vegetarian diet, but sometimes I seriously crave cheese, and I very much like leather shoes, and most importantly I would dislike having to go through every product I buy to check for animal based additives I didn't know were in some products like my vegan friends sometimes have to do.

Talk it out, hopefully you can all come to a respectful compromise.