Training for a triathlon--add me if you are too!

Options
I am training for a sprint triathlon in the spring (this will be my second sprint distance triathlon) and would like to make friends with other people who are currently training for a triathlon as well. Feel free to add me or comment on here and I'll add you! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• ashleyeliz25
    ashleyeliz25 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • R_J_Moran
    R_J_Moran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    first of all, happy new year! i am gearing up for one also! what/which program are you using?
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I did a half marathon last year. This year I'm doing that again but I also have a 1 mile open water swim in June, two century bike rides (May and August) and a sprint triathlon, too (in July).

Depending on how all that goes, I'm considering an Olympic distance tri in 2014, but well.... let's see how this year goes first!

15 months ago I couldn't even run half a mile.....
  • TheTedExperiment
    TheTedExperiment Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Competed in my first 3 triathlons last spring-summer, but after my wife had a baby last fall, I gained the baby weight! Now I'm looking for other triathletes to keep me motivated. Last year, I was in the clydesdale division---over 200 pounds---but this year, I'm an age grouper!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    add me! I did my first triathlon sprint last summer, this year I am going for broke and aiming for the olympic distance! :D
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeing to do one too just need to get my head around the training etc :ohwell:
  • Smith_Brandy
    Smith_Brandy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is from a sprint triathlon last May. I've finished about 4 sprint triathlons in the past 2 years. I've loved it, it's so much fun. I'm planning on doing an olympic length triathlon this year. Its kinda scary cause it will be my first race in open water. I'm a little squeamish about swimming with the fishes and not being able to touch the bottom or the bottom being squishy nasty mud.
  • redheaded_dem
    redheaded_dem Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am!!! I have a great training program too and would be happy to email it to you. It's a 10 week beginners program (but a little hard for a REAL beginner) but I loved it.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon (Olympic distance) last year and am hooked. I am starting my training season now and if anyone wants to add me as well, it would be nice to have a good triathlete network.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    FYI - there's an open group Triathletes/Duathletes http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/105-triathletes-duathletes
  • ashleyeliz25
    ashleyeliz25 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! I had no idea
  • jonad724
    jonad724 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been a triathlete for 22 years this year although I wasn't that active following a serious bout of viral meningitis which meant I had to ease up on the exercise for 5 years to let the after effects settle down. Last year to celebrate being a 10 year survivor of meningitis I did my first half ironman as well as the London Triathlon for the 6th time.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My husband I are doing our first sprint tri Feb 23rd. It is a reverse. 5k run, 13 mile ride, 200meter swim in an olympic size pool. I am very excited. Swimming is my weakest. I've been watching videos on youtube for swim technique and also had a critique. It really helped but we are going to go for a few lessons before the race as well. The prices for lessons are good right now because it is not exactly swim lesson season. Running is my comfort zone because I did cross country and track in high school. Cycling I am comfortable in as well. My husband and I have been riding 15-25 mile rides for about a year now. I found a training plan online but have really been just trying to do each activity 1-2 times a week. www.beginnertriathlete.com
    and http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp are great resources.

Also go to Active.com and find a triathlon in your area to sign up for. The one I did had 4 free clinics/workshops before the race that have been very helpful. I found out about them on the website for the race.

It really helps you not slack off on working out because you are training for an event, so missing 2 days is a bigger deal than if it was just for overall fitness. :)
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    I am currently training for my first Triathlon as well!!

I'm starting off with a Half Iron distance tri though in June, then a full Ironman in August!!

I was hit by a car when I started tri training, busted my collarbone and femur, and needed hip surgery to repair. Gained the weight I'd lost back and then some.

Feel free to look at my profile for pics!

Now I'm at my peak for fitness and have FINALLY been cleared to run as of October!!!!

Feel free to add me as a friend!