Scale war

Options
I am using my scale at home - yes, an old fashioned one with a dial - and I keep it in the same place on a solid surface (tile.) When I saw my doctor this week and got weighed, their scaled showed 7 lbs more than my scale at home! Granted, I was fully dressed with shoes etc., but not 7 lbs worth.

What is going on? Can I still go by my scale? Is it important what the 'real' number is?

Replies

• flying182
    Options
    No, the scale number is not always accurate - especially at different times of the day, and, yes, you can easily see a 7lb difference - just think that a cup of coffee or tea (400ml) has a weight of about 1lb, clothes and shoes will vary in weight, add a meal into the mix and you will get the idea! I weigh myself every day at the same time and a cup of tea in the morning can make all the difference in the scale movement. - I've learned not to be so expectant!! Also, if you have had a meal or snack with a lot of sodium in it, you will see a gain on the scale the next day as water is retained with the sodium until the body balances things out.
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    Good point about the sodium, I'd forgotten about that.

I've got both tiled and carpeted areas and have used my scale on both and even just that change can produce differences.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It really does not matter if your scale and your Dr's are different, its the downward trend on your own scales at home that matter. Always weigh same time, same place, same clothing/none and count the losses....the starting point is irrelevant!
  • Susie3501
    Susie3501 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The doctors scales are regulated and tested for accuracy, mine at home are old and not regulated. There is an 8 lb difference between my doctors scale and my home scale. So I weigh at home and just add the 8 lb difference. I weight before going to the dr and at the dr and there is always that same 8 lb difference. Just my opinion.