Athma and exersize?

Options
Hello there everyone!

I have suffered with asthma my entire life. I am getting really frustrated because I can't do things like run, even walking briskly or very many cardio machines at the gym without having asthma attacks. THis makes it very hard to loose weight, plus it really makes me feel out of shape!

Can anyone help me come up with workouts to do that won't trigger my attacks but still get my heart rate up and allow me to loose weight?

I would really appreciate it!

Heather

Replies

• happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello there everyone!

I have suffered with asthma my entire life. I am getting really frustrated because I can't do things like run, even walking briskly or very many cardio machines at the gym without having asthma attacks. THis makes it very hard to loose weight, plus it really makes me feel out of shape!

Can anyone help me come up with workouts to do that won't trigger my attacks but still get my heart rate up and allow me to loose weight?

I would really appreciate it!

Heather
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OOps, spelled exercise wrong! And i can't fix it, please ignore!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    lol, you posted this twice. btw, you should be able to edit your posts.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    There is some discussion as to what is more beneficial for weight loss--cardio or weight training. I don't know the answer to the cardio part, but I know the weight training will help while you're researching the answer. I hope you get a lot of good suggestions.:flowerforyou:

And call some places that offer yoga and talk to the instructors. Yoga is an awesome work out that allows you to do only what you can do at the level you can do it at while you build strength and indurance. It might be just what you're looking for.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I am also a lifetime asthma sufferer, as are my two children. I think you should dicuss the concerns with your physican, as if you asthma is flaring up with any cardiovascular activity, it is probably not under control. Conditions of exercise that can exacerbate asthma are extremes of cold and hot temperatures (for example, don't run outside in the winter and try to keep your area well ventilated) and sudden changes in cardiovascual stress (e.g. sudden sprinting) so avoid that. Keeping a moderate pace of aerobic activity should be attainable for someone with asthma.

What type of treatment do you currently use? Once you get control of your condition, exercise should not be a problem. Has your doctor never spoken to you about this? You can take your emergency medication (e.g. Ventolin, Salbutomol, etc) 30 minutes prior to exercise, and this should ward off any wheezing, and certainly prevent an attack.

Something else to consider might be seeing a naturopathic doctor, or homeopathic practioner, as they could direct you to inflammation reducing diet and supplements (e.g. fish oils, flax oil, etc). This has been shown in studies to reduce inflammation in the body, which is associated with inflammatory conditions such as ashtma, eczema, rhem. arthritis, etc.

Good luck and let us know how you fare!
    I hope your doctor can help you treat your asthma to the point that you can live an active life!
    :flowerforyou:
    P.S. Don't worry about your spelling - they need a spellchecker on here!
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma my whole life as well, both exercise and heat induced. I've never been able to run long distance without wheezing or coughing, even with my asthma being treated correctly, so I know that for me, thats simply something I do not have the endurance to do. I try to do 15-30 on a stationary bike 4-5 times a week right now, or walking at least 30 minutes. I find that it doesn't put as much stress on my lungs, and I'm able to do complete the time without any asthma symptoms. I also do pilates, which again doesn't put as much stress on my lungs, but provides a good way to burn calories.

I agree with the post above me, it sounds like your asthma may not be under control. I would visit a doctor, and see what they think.

Also, just because your asthma symptoms are brought on by exercise DOES NOT MEAN you are out of shape. Many athletes suffer from asthma, but are able to control it through medication, so don't feel bad! I've been told many times, in when I was playing 4-5 sports a year, that I was out of shape because I needed to use an inhaler sometimes in practice.

good luck!