Thoughts on what i'm doing ?

Options
I was using mfp for awhile and it was working but then I got off track. I gained back all the weight I had lost.

So what I'm going to do this time is first concentrate on staying under my daily calorie limit then add in exercise then worry about cleaning up my diet.

Thoughts on that and/or any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with you.

I think at first its more important to set yourself a daily calorie limit and try to stick to it as best as you can.

You can worry about 'eating clean' and all that later!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. Gradual changes are best. I don't personally subscribe to the "clean" eating thing, but I would say the more whole foods and veggies you include, the better.

My approach has been very similar and it has worked for me. First I focused on calories, then I added walking and pilates, and then I started paying attention to macros and cutting out the foods in my diet that weren't nutrient dense. I still have them, just less often.

Good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Exercise increases your body's needs for every nutrient and breaks down (microscopic damage) soft tissue: if you eat a low quality diet, exercise plus calorie restriction could be detrimental to your long term health by setting up deficiencies, injuries or muscle wastage. If you start cleaning up your diet first calorie intake often naturally decreases - try eating nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy veggies on top of your regular diet, most people simply cannot. Concentrate on what you can and should eat not what you cannot or should not, you should then be full and not feel overly deprived.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi. Read these, and figure out your BMR and TDEE (these links will explain these). Figure out a reasonable calorie goal (many try to go too low). Add some exercise where you can, even if just walking. But diet is 80% of the battle, so is a good place to start. Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrsbigmack/view/finding-the-sweet-spot-452184
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    calories are important to get under control

walking is one of the best exercises ever and I would start walking whenever you can. No need to wait for that.

good luck
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Well what I started doing is eating healthy but at a lower calorie budget with a deficit of 500.
    i didnt do much exercise. Lost maybe 15 lbs.. then sorta platued...
    so then I mixed the healthy eating with a little exercise and lost pretty much the rest of my weight.
    i was 140 lbs and am now 109.8 lbs this morning.
    i have upped my calorie intake because now i hike everyday and have upped my exercise.
    do what you feel is best for you, but remember this is not a diet.. its a lifetime thing.
    so if your down to 900 calories daily, thats not reasonable... you need to eat pretty much what you think you can eat for the rest of your life so you dont gain & you can maintain
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you start cleaning up your diet first calorie intake often naturally decreases - try eating nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy veggies on top of your regular diet, most people simply cannot. Concentrate on what you can and should eat not what you cannot or should not, you should then be full and not feel overly deprived.
    I found it worked the opposite way for me. When I started I could eat fruits and veggies until my stomach was so distended it hurt, but I'd still feel like I'm starving. The thing is then your subconscious may associate those foods with being unsatisfied. What I did was restricted calories only for the bad stuff, and allowed as much fruits and veggies as I wanted and didn't count them at all. It caused me to use fruits and veggies to fill in the gaps where a meal didn't satisfy me, and to think about those foods as a solution whenever I was hungry. Now that my body has caught up, I can eat a salad and be satisfied,and that is what I naturally reach for when I get hungry.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I found it worked the opposite way for me. When I started I could eat fruits and veggies until my stomach was so distended it hurt, but I'd still feel like I'm starving. The thing is then your subconscious may associate those foods with being unsatisfied. What I did was restricted calories only for the bad stuff, and allowed as much fruits and veggies as I wanted and didn't count them at all. It caused me to use fruits and veggies to fill in the gaps where a meal didn't satisfy me, and to think about those foods as a solution whenever I was hungry. Now that my body has caught up, I can eat a salad and be satisfied,and that is what I naturally reach for when I get hungry.

It's not clear to me if you are referring to produce largely alone, which is not a balanced diet in anyone's eyes and not what I referenced in my earlier post. Fibre and water alone do not confer satiety - research indicates protein and fats play a role both of which are a key part of a nutritious diet and of the standard UK/ US diet. Ensuring they get enough servings of fruit, veggies, reduced fat dairy, oily fish, other healthy fats, protein little and often has worked for many of my nutrition clients (not necessarily all those changes at once!). Most times when people report something not working it's often a case of willpower/ lack of support at home/ they are cherry picking 'rules' and inventing their own/ bringing personal taste into it so their diet is highly restrictive. Occasionally a medical condition is flagged up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I was using mfp for awhile and it was working but then I got off track. I gained back all the weight I had lost.

So what I'm going to do this time is first concentrate on staying under my daily calorie limit then add in exercise then worry about cleaning up my diet.

those things should and can be done simultaneously.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I think you can do all three, but your calorie intake should be your main focus. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's not clear to me if you are referring to produce largely alone, which is not a balanced diet in anyone's eyes and not what I referenced in my earlier post. Fibre and water alone do not confer satiety - research indicates protein and fats play a role both of which are a key part of a nutritious diet and of the standard UK/ US diet. Ensuring they get enough servings of fruit, veggies, reduced fat dairy, oily fish, other healthy fats, protein little and often has worked for many of my nutrition clients (not necessarily all those changes at once!). Most times when people report something not working it's often a case of willpower/ lack of support at home/ they are cherry picking 'rules' and inventing their own/ bringing personal taste into it so their diet is highly restrictive. Occasionally a medical condition is flagged up.

I was responding to this:
    "try eating nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy veggies on top of your regular diet, most people simply cannot."

And I would definitely be someone who brings personal taste into it, I don't want to spend the rest of my life gagging down disgusting foods several times a day. If I had to choose I would choose fat over that any day.