How do they do it on Biggest Loser?

Options
124»

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Im seeing a whole lot of negative about this show, and all weight loss shows. I don't think that everyone is considering that with the growing obesity in the world shows like this, while unrealistic in a real life time frame, are very important. They show people that are heavier that it really is possible to lose weight and it gives examples of foods that are good for you and foods that are not.

I have watched maybe half of the seasons, not all of them. And I haven't watched it in a few years. But I do remember when i watched it, it made me feel good, which I believe is the goal of the show. Its not about winning a prize or anything like that. Its about showing EVERYONE that anyone, no matter how big they are can find the motivation to start an exercise and healthy eating lifestyle. I was hoping that I would start watching again this year as an extra way to motivate myself. Not to take all their drama literally, but to feel inspired to get off the couch and change myself - which is the purpose of the show really.

But I have to say you are all very depressing. You make it sound like watching this show is pointless and doesn't help anyone.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Im seeing a whole lot of negative about this show, and all weight loss shows. I don't think that everyone is considering that with the growing obesity in the world shows like this, while unrealistic in a real life time frame, are very important. They show people that are heavier that it really is possible to lose weight and it gives examples of foods that are good for you and foods that are not.

I completely disagree with this point of view.

What BL does is make weight loss seem ridiculously difficult, far more so than it really is, which contributes to people going in with the all-or-nothing crazy-diet-fad then quitting when they can't keep up with it after a few weeks. They show these people working out for 6 hours a day, eating pathetically low calorie intakes, passing out, getting sick, and being forced to workout through injuries, none of which is advisable for the average person trying to lose weight neither is it necessary.

The show is sensationalized for TV and completely unrealistic for the average person and sets up an expectation that weight loss has to be a miserable, painful, and horrific experience. It doesn't have to be any of those things nor should it be.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's a TV show. It's edited in a way to create the impression that they want to create, which is that all you have to do to lose a lot of weight is to exercise harder. What they aren't showing (and what accounts for most of the weight lost on the program) is the work by registered dieticians behind the scenes. The diet part is the cake - the exercise part is just the icing on top.

It's the plain truth, but guess what? You can't make a compelling TV show out of watching people sitting around eating healthy.