Help

Options
So my husband ordered tagalong girlscout cookies about 3 months ago...before we were both on diets. We just got them yesturday and I coundn't help myself....I ate one entire box :(
There are still 3 boxes left in the pantry and I really don't know if I can only have 2. I am making a lifestyle change and so it is important that I teach myself how to stop and be satisfied with just two cookies. Does anyone have any helpful tips to keep from over endulging?
Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• Kelsea1218
    Options
    I don't know if this would work for everyone, but what I do when I go over my calorie count is challenge myself to burn off those extra calories that day or the next. This is can be impossible sometimes if I end up 1000 calories over! But the healthy "punishment" is enough for me to stay away from snack foods sometimes!
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you know you can't eat just one serving..give them to your neighbor. LOL!
  • bnabors
    Options
    Do you know if they freeze well? I love to freeze single portions then if they are frozen and you have to thaw them...just a thought!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Give them to the neighbor or someone at work. For me Girl Scout cookies are too small for me to cheat with and they are a trigger food for me.
  • selmacotto
    Options
    One serving is sometimes VERY hard - like 1/2 cup of Haagen Dazs!! You CAN do it. Just think how much longer each box will last you if you eat one serving a night. I made a pint of ice cream (usually 1 sitting) last 4 nights!! The best part? My husband sulking on the 4th night, because he finished HIS on the 1st night!! =)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    We freeze ours...Thin Mints, Tagalongs, and Samoas. You can't tell me about self-control when it comes to GS cookies. I ate 1100 calories worth one night last week. That's what I get for eating before checking the label.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Whenever I buy anything that has mutiple servings per container the second I get it home I break it down to serving size and repackage it and put them in a tupperware container. I buy the snack size lunch bags and put a serving size in there. It wokrs really well for me - Whenever I want chips, beef jerky, etc - I can grab one snack bag and I know i have a serving size. And, the trick is to grab just one and not three..... :embarassed:

I do this with chips, cookies, candy, even sandwich meat.

It helps me to weigh out the entire bag all at once instead of just weighing when I want a serving because then I am not tempeted to grab a chip and put in my mouth while I am measuring my serving.

So in your case you would put two cookies each in a snack bag and only grab one bag. It is also great when you want to pack your lunch because you have everything portioned out ahead of time so thrwoing a lunch together takes seconds.
  • fluffyth
    Options
    I can't bring GSC's home. It's easier for me to donate $10 to my favorite troop rather than beat myself up later.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Whenever I buy anything that has mutiple servings per container the second I get it home I break it down to serving size and repackage it and put them in a tupperware container. I buy the snack size lunch bags and put a serving size in there. It wokrs really well for me - Whenever I want chips, beef jerky, etc - I can grab one snack bag and I know i have a serving size. And, the trick is to grab just one and not three..... :embarassed:

I do this with chips, cookies, candy, even sandwich meat.

It helps me to weigh out the entire bag all at once instead of just weighing when I want a serving because then I am not tempeted to grab a chip and put in my mouth while I am measuring my serving.

So in your case you would put two cookies each in a snack bag and only grab one bag. It is also great when you want to pack your lunch because you have everything portioned out ahead of time so thrwoing a lunch together takes seconds.

great idea thanks!!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I would probably take a mix of these ideas and toss them all together to look something like this:

2 cookies as a "freebie". If you want more, burn the cals FIRST and the cookie is your reward. ;-) The more cals you burn, the more cookies you get. Or, you can burn 2 cookie's worth of cals a day (without eating them somewhere else!) until you have a box-full of cals "saved up" and then you can have the whole box in one sitting. Now, I'll go ahead and guess that this 2nd idea, whereas nice in theory, probably doesn't work out in the real world. But, it might make you feel better from a psychological standpoint and that might be just as good. I'd probably go with option 1 though.

Here's another idea - and I have to do this hundreds of times a day with not smoking (just quit 12/1/09!) - hold out for 5 more minutes. Okay, you know what.. the craving is gone now. Oops - there it is... I can wait 5 minutes. I'll play on facebook and then maybe I'll go outside and find someone that I know smokes. Oh, look - I just used up an entire hour! I REALLY want one now... gosh, but it's 10 pm. No one's up. Dang it. Guess I'll just wait another day.

It's hard. REALLY hard. And if you can't keep yourself under control with a "safe" amount, then maybe you're just not ready to go down that slippery slope and you're better off sticking teh boxes in the back of the freezer and forgetting about them for a while. I'd love to go out and know I could buy a pack of smokes just for that one night I'm at a bar or party or whatever... but I know I won't smoke the whole pack in that one night which then means the rest of it would be sitting around until guess what? I smoked it. Then where am I? I can't have half a pack just sitting around! What a waste!!!! Gosh, ran out... I REALLY want one now.. I've reintroduced a HUGE amount of nicotine into my system.... now what?

Sugar, carbs, sweets... they can all cause a similar reaction, especially if you're hungry when you go after them. I hope this helps and whatever you do - as long as when you're done, you get back on track, you'll be A-O-K. :-)
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    we have a box in my pantry and i just can't open it. Or i can't stay out of it! I feel your pain. Those little cookies are highly addictive! One thing that helps me is to eat the one or two i 'can have' and then brush my teeth or use mouthwash. They don't taste as good after!
  • zmortis
    Options
    Sometimes our cultural fear of letting something go to waste causes us to not act in moderation where it would be advisable. If the temptation of continuing past a reasonable serving exists for such items as Girl Scout cookies, it is best to not keep them around. Find them a good home elsewhere with a friend or relative, but not in your pantry.

If you are eating them for fear they will go bad before you can finish the box at a reasonable pace, the suggestion above about freezing them in single serving portions is a good recommendation. However, like anyone who has fallen off the wagon the best path forward is to get back on the wagon, and to only treat yourself in moderation with "taboo" items.

One thing to consider is if your diet goals are overly ambitious (say 20 lbs a week as an exageration) it becomes easier to feel deprived and backslide when given the temptation. The hard part of any plan is achieving the goal set, and maintaining the goal in a consistent and reasonable manner. Personally, I advise you look at this lapse as a lesson learned about your response to temptation, and use the lesson to motivate yourself to take steps to avoid the same issue in the future. One time has probably not done any significant damage to achieving your goal, but a pattern of lapses certainly will.

I hope this helps.