Looking for PCOS friends

Options
13»

Replies

• mt2008
    mt2008 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, so if anyone wants to add me, feel free to! I've known I've had it since I was 16, due to a cyst rupture. I'm not on medication currently, but it's something I'll be visiting with my doctor about next month.

@Fuzzy, I'm really interested to see how your experiment goes! I'm so sick of tweezing, shaving, etc...it's like a never ending battle!
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    I'm totally looking for friends, so go ahead and add me. I've had PCOS for 12 years now, I have type 2 diabetes, and my doctors now think I have metabolic syndrome because all of these things are related to insulin resistance. I've been on the diet roller coaster for way too many years and I'm really trying to find motivation to start losing weight again.
  • loriannie63
    Options
    My dr. has suggested I have the uterine ablation as well.
    How horrible was it? I am a big chicken...although I had
    2 children without aid of drugs...so maybe my pain tolerance is
    greater than I give myself credit for?

Thanks for any help!

Lori
  • Jacqmomof3
    Jacqmomof3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just joined today. i workout a lot but whenever I stop tracking my food I gain weight. So I was looking for a simple food tracker and found this site. I was diagnosed with PCOS over 10 years ago. I have many of the symptoms but did not have any real problem having my 3 children. It has been the last 10 years that have been worse and it is certainly the hormonal symptoms. It was nice to read several posts that talk about the rage. That was when my doctor put me on BCP, monophasic, and it worked.

I find that if I don't restrict my simple carb intake (specifically bread, pasta & potatoes) then i spiral out of control. I am now a little confused as to how much carbs are ok. I was down to only eating simple bread carbs after working out 45 minutes. But that seems too restrictive to me. What are others doing?

I have not been put on any other medications than BCP and I am most worried about my risk of heart disease, less about my risk of T2DM as my blood sugars have been fine.
  • loriannie63
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was diagnosed in 1990 when trying to conceive my first child. Took chlomid to get pregnant with her. She was born in 1992, followed by a 2nd daughter in 1994, who was conceived with out any help. Daughter 3 was born...and quite a surprise, in 2005.

In the last few years since the youngest was born my problems have worsened. I have been having TERRIBLE periods, developed anemia, had surgery summer of 2011 to remove a cyst and do a D & C. That helped for a while...but things started escalating in Feb. 2012. Have tried going on the pill, but i am 49, I dont need the added risks and it isnt for birth control anymore plus it really didnt help anything. Dr. is now talking about a uterine ablation. I was thinking a hysterectomy, but he said, "You dont want that."

Things do seem to be a little better when I lose weight, but as I get older the same 25-30 lbs is harder and harder to knock off and every Jan. I find myself right back where I started. Errrr!!!

If anyone has had experience with the ablation, can you let me know how horrible it was and if it helped any?

Thanks much!

Lori G
  • nhiremy
    nhiremy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, but I've had symptoms since I was 12. I decided to join MFP in hopes of guidance and some friends to help me figure out what I should and shouldn't do. My doctor has started me on 500 mg metformin & it seems to work but the side effects are kicking my butt. I've also been obese all my life & peaked at 240 lbs. I've lost 10 lbs since I started the metformin but I've kind of just been sitting on the fence and haven't lost or gained any. So hopefully I can gain some friends here. Thanks for reading!

Nhi
  • SMurF90
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a PCOS struggler. I constantly try to lose weight, but it's such a struggle I eat way less than other and still don't lose. I practically have to starve myself to get the weight off. Any sufggestions?
  • nataosw
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I was able to lose weight with a low carb diet plus exercise. I took the last year off as far as counting calories and was able to maintain my loss fairly well by making healthy low carb choices and working out. I would love to find some PCOS pals for motivation. My plan is to start logging again as I would really love to lose about 20 more lbs.

I have tried the Metformin in the past, no weight loss but a lot of fatigue and tummy troubles. I just started bcp to combat the acne and hair growth. One of my best investments was a salon style wax heater, I had a friend teach me how to wax my face, what a life saver.

It's hard ladies, but we can do this. My cycles did become normal after about 15 lbs of loss and have been normal ever since. Not ttc but my prayers are with those of you who are.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Please add me as a friend - that goes for everyone with PCOS...I need more friends on this site (and in life) who know what I'm going through.

Since December when I upped my protein and workouts and cut out sugar, ALL DAIRY, soy, and gluten (I am about 95% compliant), my acne is a million times better, my tummy has gone way down, and I have lost 7 pounds.

During the times when I am compliant with the above diet/workout plan, I have been a size 6 or 8. As soon as I start eating the normal American diet, I gain up to 25 pounds and go up to a size 12.

So basically this is what I do: I am eating mainly protein, avoiding sugar as much as I can, and eating more veggies than fruits (I stick to one or fewer fruits per day). I only eat 1-2 grains a day and they are whole grains (brown rice, chia seed bread, etc.). I'm working to gain more muscle. I know that gaining muscle and doing exercise EVERY DAY is good for PCOS women. I try to do 60 minutes of exercise most days of the week. I do aqua aerobics (1x per week), Zumba (2x per week), Zumba Gold (1x per week), cardio/strength (1-2x per week), and am now adding one hour of weight lifting split into 2 sessions.
  • sarajaned
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I recently have also been told I have PCOS :(
    I had an emotional chat with my consultant regarding weight OMG I was made to feel like I was the biggest woman in his office, Im a uk size 12/14
    Now I don't know where to start, feel abit lonely and helpless...
    Love to chat to any of you
    xxx