how do people do it?

Options
I am seriously bad at trying to lose weight - i have plenty motiviation for the first 4weeks and when i dont see the losses i want - i go off the tracks and then i am back at square one

i am 216lbs and 5ft 5in and need to lose about 70lbs - i was wondering how people have lost weight such as calorie amount, exercise regimes etc

i work 12 hrs shifts as a staff nurse in a very busy ward so i am on my feet for about 7hrs of my 12 hrs shifts - i would seriously know how much i burn but on my Days off i dont do much and this is something i need to change as well.

thanks

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What are your expectations in those first 4 weeks?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Eat clean, give up processed food and all sodas, get plenty of protein, drink water and lots of it, keep moving even when you are not at work. Most important for me, log everything you eat. Everything. Good luck. :drinker:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Stop expecting changes to happen so quickly. 4 weeks is not long to lose a significant amount of weight. You didn't put on this weight that fast. Don't expect it to come off so fast.

Change your focus from "OMG need to get this fat off now" to "how do I change the way I live so I never have to be at this weight again?"
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i always got off track after a few weeks, but in september, i finally got sick of being fat, and got serious. went from 246 to today, i actually hit ONEderland... 199.8!!! im 5 foot 10, and still have another 25 pounds to go for my goal...

its like quitting smoking, until YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH, staying on track isnt going to work. YOU have to want to loose the weight bad enough!!!

you can do it, the question is, how bad do you want it?

as for how to do it, its not rocket science, its calories in vs. calories out... move when you can, walk when you can, BUT ALWAYS LOG, because we underestimate how much we really eat during the day...
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    diet counts for a LOT! even if you are sooo busy you can't possibly fit in exercise, eating better alone will help you lose weight! good luck and don't give up. results are the best motivation so just wait for it.

if it were easy, everyone would be healthy and fit! :wink:
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    i expected to lose about 10lbs but given my weight i didnt think that was a lot for 4 weeks x
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I was like you - I need that damn scale to move in the beginning to keep me motivated. I did a bad thing to get that - I did the 500 calorie HCG 21 day diet. It is obviously bad for you to eat so few calories, but 21 days of it, I decided, would not wreck my body. I lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks and it gave me the jump start I needed to be patient with the scale. After that I calculated my BMR and TDEE and eat based on those numbers.

I am not advocating such extreme weight loss methods...but I can relate to your frustration. Since changing to TDEE method I have consistently lost weight and am now withn a few pounds of my goal.

You can do this!!
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Stop expecting changes to happen so quickly. 4 weeks is not long to lose a significant amount of weight. You didn't put on this weight that fast. Don't expect it to come off so fast.

Change your focus from "OMG need to get this fat off now" to "how do I change the way I live so I never have to be at this weight again?"
    ^^^This.

Take the timeline off - don't think about the weeks. Take it one day at a time, one choice at a time, one step at a time. I had so much to lose when I first started, I couldn't even think about the long road ahead. I took it in 5 pound increments. I lost the first 5 and then said to myself, yup - I'm going for another 5 and so on and so on..... Don't make it a 'diet', make it a life style change. My favourite mantra (and some of you may groan) ...... It's a journey; not a race.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    When you say "I have plenty motiviation for the first 4weeks and when i dont see the losses i want - i go off the tracks and then i am back at square one" How much are you wanting to lose? The best and most sustainable weight loss it slow weight loss that is brought on by lifestyle changes in your eating and exercise habits. I am a personal trainer and I tell my clients to expect 1 LB a week when it comes to weight loss if they follow my plan for them.

I mainly tell them too track their calories and eat clean. Eliminate processed foods which are high in sodium as well as refined sugars and eat enough protein, good carbs, good fats and fiber.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people with a lot to lose and trouble making long term changes having success with weight watchers. It's not free, but it's worth it to do something like that for yourself.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You have to find something that motivates you. Why do you want to lose weight in the first place? You have to have a strong reason that compels you to exercise regularly and not overeat. What motivates me may not motivate you.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options

^^^This!

It's about a lifestyle change. That 70+ lbs didn't take four weeks to gain so what makes you think it'll take 4 weeks to shed it all off?
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - going to look at my tdde and bmr numbers and get a starting amount of cals and see where I go from there
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging every day. Even if you aren't trying to stick to your plan. Even if you are sick. Just keep logging.

This practice will give you the knowledge to make the necessary changes. Don't focus so much on losing quickly the first month, just practice logging everything you eat and every workout you do.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I work 14 hour shifts a lot so I know how it is to be busy and trying to find time to exercise. You just need to get into a routine and once you stick with it for a few weeks it gets easier. It also helps a lot to have someone to support you. My boyfriend is training for a 5k with me and gets up at 4 am with me several times a week. He has done a great job so far helping to motivate me. Send me a friend request if you feel you could use the support or if you have any more questions just let me know.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You have to be ready to do it as well. I have had so many false starts in the past. When I first started I used to get frustrated seeing my friends on here eating chocolate and crisps and still loosing, where I was completely off them.

I learned that I am about excess, and I will never be able to just have one biscuit. I knew I was ready when after 4 weeks I was snack free. If you are the same try to give the 'bad' foods a break from your diet. If you stick it for a month you know you're ready to see it through.

Good luck
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    i always got off track after a few weeks, but in september, i finally got sick of being fat, and got serious. went from 246 to today, i actually hit ONEderland... 199.8!!! im 5 foot 10, and still have another 25 pounds to go for my goal...

its like quitting smoking, until YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH, staying on track isnt going to work. YOU have to want to loose the weight bad enough!!!

you can do it, the question is, how bad do you want it?

as for how to do it, its not rocket science, its calories in vs. calories out... move when you can, walk when you can, BUT ALWAYS LOG, because we underestimate how much we really eat during the day...

wow you have done amazing
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The keys for me on losing weight was finding a long term goal to look forward to (like my wedding, etc.) and also as far as exercise was to find something that was fun and that I wanted to keep doing and that was Zumba...talk about fun and kept me interested and burns tons and tons of calories for a one hour workout. I would try that! :-) Good luck!