cooking oil

kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I'm at work entering the ingredients for my planned dinner this evening and am shocked by the calorie content of extra virgin olive oil. 120 cals per tblspn!!! Does anyone know if any other oil is better to cook with in terms of nutritional value? I always thought that extra virgin olive oil was supposed to be the best for you! I try to use the sprays where poss but find they don't work as well with stir fry.

Replies

• Almost all oils will have about the same calorie content. The difference is what kind of fat it is. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat, which is the best kind of fat for your body and the reason it is considered the healthiest kind of oil.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Good question! I went to use vegetable oil to fry some potatoes the other night and was shocked at the calorie count. :noway: I'm looking forward to seeing what other people suggest!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Don't be alarmed at the calorie content, olive oil is one of the best for you (other than flax but you don't cook with flax, it is meant to be drizzled cold). You MUST get some fat into your diet each day for digestion not to mention the benefits to your skin, hair, and nails. Olive oil also does not have a hight heat tolerance. If you are making a stir fry at high heat you are better off using a small amount of canola, or peaunt oil. Once you "burn" olive oil at too high of heat you lose all those great nutritional values anyway. It is best used at low heats, or cold for salad dressings, etc. Just be sure not to skip the importance of some fat each day, it is well worth the calories in the long run!
  • Olive oil is one of the best, healthiest oils for you. Another good one that can replace veg. oil in baking or stir fry is canola oil. I was on weight wathchers and part of the program was to have 2 tsp. of healthy oil every day. For a long time I went w/o because I was afraid of the calories & it being a fat I didn't want. Once I caved in and started using it, the weight started droppping again. I would use it to stir fry or if I didn't have a need for it in cooking for a day then I would,stir it in yogurt, add it to a smootihe or drizzle it on popcorn. I also recently talked with a nutritionist and was told the same thing. We need small amounts of the healthy oils every day. It's just one type of calorie we can't worry about.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    I use olive or grapeseed oil for cooking mostly and I do make sure to get some fat each day but if you're looking to cut down try cooking in stock or broth. I slow cook pieces of chicken in stock and it keeps it moist and wont burn to the pan. Also "packet" baking: make packets out of foil or parchment and bake chicken & veggies, the packets keep all the moisture trapped inside so the chicken doesnt dry out and you dont need fat.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    It does stink. I don't use vegetable/canola oil and switched to olive oil, whenever I can afford it. I just try my best to use minimal olive oil when cooking, I try two teaspoons or something like that when I am stir frying veggies. And your right, cooking spray is just not the same, it's okay for some things but sometimes you just need the oil...calorie content is killing me but I think olive oil contains "good" fats so definitely stick with it opposed to vegetable oil.

As far as something out there with lesser calories ...I think you are using the best at this point. They are all pretty much the same for the most part.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Almost all oils will have about the same calorie content. The difference is what kind of fat it is. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat, which is the best kind of fat for your body and the reason it is considered the healthiest kind of oil.

Actually that is incorrect. Coconut oil is a saturated fat and is considered to be the healthiest oil on the face of the earth.

Olive oil is good for you, but Coconut oil is better. Grapeseed oil is very good for you too.

Stay far away from Vegetable oils, canola oils, etc...................they are detrimental to your health, despite what conventional wisdom tells us...........
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Keep in mind that cocnut oil comes in a solid form so it must be heated first to make it into liquid form if you are using it as an ingredient. And it isn't as "exotic" as it sounds....I buy mine at walmart
  • July24Lioness
    Keep in mind that cocnut oil comes in a solid form so it must be heated first to make it into liquid form if you are using it as an ingredient. And it isn't as "exotic" as it sounds....I buy mine at walmart

I don't buy mine at wal-mart. If you are buying the Lou Ana brand, it is highly processed and it not a healthy form of coconut oil.

Cold-pressed or expellor pressed coconut oil is the healthiest.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Coconut oil is awesome and is a MCFA - and has one of the highest concentrations of medium chain fatty acids aside from human breast milk. I am trying to incorporate more of it into my diet.
  • Almost all oils will have about the same calorie content. The difference is what kind of fat it is. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat, which is the best kind of fat for your body and the reason it is considered the healthiest kind of oil.

Actually that is incorrect. Coconut oil is a saturated fat and is considered to be the healthiest oil on the face of the earth.

Olive oil is good for you, but Coconut oil is better. Grapeseed oil is very good for you too.

Stay far away from Vegetable oils, canola oils, etc...................they are detrimental to your health, despite what conventional wisdom tells us...........

LeanLioness, what is your source for these facts? I'm curious because after reading your response, I did some quick searching for information on the benefits of coconut oil. What I found interesting is that every site claiming that coconut oil was the healthiest form of oil was also trying to sell me something. Any articles I found that were written by dieticians or about actual medical research done on coconut oil said the exact opposite. Considering that, I'm skeptical about your claim, but I'd like to learn more.
  • July24Lioness
    Almost all oils will have about the same calorie content. The difference is what kind of fat it is. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat, which is the best kind of fat for your body and the reason it is considered the healthiest kind of oil.

LeanLioness, what is your source for these facts? I'm curious because after reading your response, I did some quick searching for information on the benefits of coconut oil. What I found interesting is that every site claiming that coconut oil was the healthiest form of oil was also trying to sell me something. Any articles I found that were written by dieticians or about actual medical research done on coconut oil said the exact opposite. Considering that, I'm skeptical about your claim, but I'd like to learn more.

#1. My Naturopathic Doctor

#2. I follow a lot of raw food and natural, holistic, organic websites.............

Here is some information to read:

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/coconut_oil_healthy.htm

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

http://www.coconut-connections.com/healthiest_oil.htm

http://www.coconut-oil-central.com/medium-chain-triglycerides.html
  • The icelandic diet is over fifty percent fat and they live longer than anyone else in the world, followed by japan by only four months. They have an extremely low number of heart attacks and strokes compared to the rest of the world even though they eat all that fat. It's the quality of fat that will make you or break you. Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil is the right kind of fat ;)
This discussion has been closed.