Advice for a student/commuter?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I started college in September and am commuting over an hour each way with classes usually from about 9-4 with a short break around lunch time. I'm finding that my eating has really suffered from this. I'm away from home between 7am and 5-6pm most week days. I find that I get lightheaded if I don't eat anything for a few hours/don't eat enough for each meal. Since I am at school or in transit for so much of my day I find it hard to eat healthily throughout the day. I often end up grabbing something at some point during the day to hold me over until lunch/until I get home for dinner. Because of what's easily available, this is usually carbs.

I want to make a change to feel better and have more energy, as well as lose some weight. What are some things I can eat for breakfast/lunch/throughout the day that will keep me full? What are some easy things I can take for snacks and lunches that will be easy to take with me and easy to eat on the go?

Thanks!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eggs or oatmeal for breakfast are great.

Grab some protein bars to keep with you to grab and have instead of stopping somewhere.

Preparation is the key... if you don't make the time and prepare foods you will stop for food throughout the day. Cut up veggies to travel with. Cut up fruits... hard boil some eggs and keep in a cooler bag during the day. Wraps are great. Nuts, apple and peanut butter, etc are great choices.

Have protein as often as possible... protein with each meal and try to have it with each snack. Ensure you get enough fibre and fat and drink enough water... all those things help keep you full, longer.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I commute to school as well about an hour and fifteen each way. I agree with the previous post. Bringing stuff with you is key so that you don't stop to eat junk food.

Prep weekly meals on the weekends so that you have easy dinners during the week. Meat and veggie stir frys are simple, whole wheat pasta dishes (like spaghetti with ground turkey breast), meat and veggie casseroles (chicken and whatever vegetables you have on hand, etc). I prepackage and portion mine so when I'd come home from school, I'd have food ready that could be eaten after a long day.

In terms of lunch, sandwiches and wraps work well or you could just bring some of your portioned out dinners. Whole wheat/grain crackers, cereal bars such as the Nature Valley ones or any other healthy/wholesome ones work, single or double servings of dry cereal portioned out in snack bags are great when you need to munch between classes or even in the car if you need to. Whole fruits that don't require peeling such as apples, pears, peaches, plums, etc so that you can eat them on the go.

For breakfast, I usually have instead oatmeal with a bit of milk and teaspoon of peanut butter or toast. If I am really in hurry, I'll grab a protein bar or take along a serving or two of dry cereal (I stick to the non sugary stuff like plain cheerios and fiber twigs). If you want a more filling breakfast on the go, you could make your own multigrain english muffin sandwiches with a bit of cheese, deli meat (I use turkey breast most of the time, sometimes ham) and even a fried egg. Adding a bit of jam and butter make it taste especially good. :)

I've got loads of ideas that have worked for me over the years, so if you're interested in more, please feel free to contact me. :)