High protien low fat snack help needed

Options
I'm looking for something high in protien but low in fat that I can just thow in my gym bag or grab for a quick snack. I can eat fish through out the day, but I guess I'm looking for a "quick" snack, not one I have to cook. Anything you've tried and want to let me know about, go for it :happy: I'm just looking to eat though out the day without eatting meat every few hours.

Replies

• rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    1% Cottage Cheese
  • bootoou
    Options
    I like cheese sitcks or beef sticks they really do keep you satisfied for a while....yogurt
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1% Cottage Cheese

Cottage cheese is great low fat high protein and you can throw it in a container and take it anywhere.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein. It's easy to mix (water and powder) Use it as a post workout :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Have you checked any of the protein bars/drinks? I honestly don't know where they stand on the fat count. Seems like an obvious thing to look at though.

Do you like cottage cheese? Saw 3 people suggest that. Can't stand the stuff myself... maybe there's a "dietary thesaurus" out there somewhere - put in "cottage cheese" and come up with the nearest equivalents in nutrients to choose from that aren't cottage cheese! LOL.. now there's an idea!
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A boiled egg!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i love 2% cottage cheese (there is no diff in cal content of the brand i buy between 2 or 1 % by the 1% has higher sodium and sugar content so i stick to 2) mixed with a lil salsa and some veggie sticks.

hummus and veggies too super yum
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame...wonderful snack. Salty and crunchy...perfect replacement for chips.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    A boiled egg!

I second this! When I go grocery shopping I buy an extra carton of eggs just to hard boil.. very easy to take on the run. I don't usually eat the yolks though!

Apple and peanut butter is always good too.
  • bighurt
    Options
    I like to eat Beef Jerky. It's low in calories and fat.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    After a workout, I have a glass of chocolate milk!

Or not sure about low in fat, but almonds or peanuts. My fave is the Emerald Coca Almonds! Yum!
  • czar1978
    Options
    Mucle Milk Light. They sell pre-mixed, 100-calorie portions. I also bring along low-fat cheese sticks and almonds.
  • czar1978
    Options
    After a workout, I have a glass of chocolate milk!

Or not sure about low in fat, but almonds or peanuts. My fave is the Emerald Coca Almonds! Yum!

I second this! I read in Runner's World that low-fat chocolate milk is one of the best things for muscle recovery. From the article:

"Grab chocolate milk for the same recovery benefits as a sports drink.

Recovering from a tough workout is all about replenishing lost glycogen stores. Chocolate milk does the trick just as well as an extra-carb sports drink. For less calories, go for low-fat chocolate milk or make it yourself with a chocolate syrup."
  • tjwersinger
    Options
    carnation instant breakfast no sugar added, ready to drink
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    here's my favorites:

greek yogurt with frozen fruit & stevia mixed in:
    5.3oz container of stoneyfields 0% greek yogurt + 1/2 cup frozen raspberries= 136 calories, 0 grams of fat & 16 grams protein (stevia has no calories)

new favorite to keep in my purse:
    cocoa roasted almonds from emerald nuts: 100 calorie pack with 8 grams of fat (but its the good fat!!) and 3 grams of protein

a banana tossed in pb2 powder, cinnamon & stevia (pb2 powder is a peanut powder, most of the fat has been taken out): 1 6-7 inch banana sliced up with 1 tbs pb2 & 1/2 tsp cinnamon= 116 calories, 2 grams of fat & 7 grams pf protein (and cinnamon has been shown to help regulate insuline levels!)

cheese stick: organic valley single stringles have 80 calories, 6 grams of fat & 7 grams of protein

good luck!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    FAGE Greek Yogurt 0% Fat- 6oz container = 90cals

I eat this pretty much everyday!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you want something that you can keep in your purse that doesn't need refrigeration, then something like beef jerky or nuts or trail mix works well. I also keep a ready-to-make protein shake in my purse. It comes pre-measured in a plastic bottle and you add water and shake it up. It's okay, but it takes up a LOT of room in my purse. :laugh:

I also sometimes eat protein bars but I have to be very careful of them. Most of them are either high in carbs or high in fat or both. There are so-called protein bars out there that have 2 g of carbs for every 1 g of protein! Then, there are ones that are full of sugar alcohols (which give me gas), but only have slightly more carbs than protein. However, to make them taste good, they have a LOT of fat. Many of them have almost 300 calories too. I've seen some that approach 400 calories. Yikes!