kettlebell question

Options
I just got my first kettlebell and have been doing some free workouts I found on youtube. I just had some questions about how kettlebells fit into an overall workout program. For example, right now (pre-kettlebell) I usually do two days of upper body traditional weights and two days of lower body, along with five days of some sort of cardio. Would the kettlebells take place of traditional weight training or would I still benefit from keeping a day or two of that in, in addition to a day or two a week of the bells? I don't want to overtrain, but I also don't want to miss any muscle groups...

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you do a proper kb workout, it is whole body. I would use 2 of my KB workouts as a weight lifting day, but keep the other 2 for heavy lifts, 1 day upper and the other lower, maybe. Continue cardio as before.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Great site, I think, for kettlebell workouts, questions, tips, etc.

http://www.mikemahler.com/online-library/articles/kettlebell-training/kettlebell-training-articles.html
  • lishamat
    lishamat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite from the other reply. I use my kettlebell class as a replacement for a cardio day. The class I take though gives me the same kind of workout as a cardio class. I still go to my weight lifting class. I Love kettlebell and would rather do it than a traditional cardio class, to me it is more fun!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Guess I just want to make sure I don't OVER work the muscles. I think I figured out a way to work it all in, I'm excited to give it a try! I've been trying to think of ways to mix it up, was starting to feel really stalled in my old routine.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it was me, I'd skip all but 1 cardio day altogther, but the OP does them for a reason. A hardcore kettlebell person doesn't do any cardio because the bells will still give you that benefit as well. I'm not all about killing myself with overtaxing my body, as I subscribe to the less is more philosophy. I only work out every other day or so, just making sure I get in a whole body activity.