How should I include breastfeeding...?

Options
Hello!

I am a new mom and am exclusively breastfeeding. I know that this requires 300-500+ calories a day and I know that I need to add that into my calorie count. Should I make it an exercise or just leave it out? Any better ideas? I am open for suggestions. So far I have been adding 400 calories a day as an exercise but I don't know if I like adding it everyday. If you have an idea let me know. If you are breastfeeding mom, what do you do?

Thanks for your suggestions! :-D

Replies

• GingerKid
    Options
    I'd say about 3-500 cals per day...depending on how old your kiddo is. On WW, I know they suggested 2 points (about 100 cals)) per every nursing session.

If you find your supply dropping, up your calories.
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definetly add 500 for an infant that fully depends upon breastmilk. I add about 300 for my 9 month old who nurses 3 times a day and eats 3 solids a day. I add less if he eats less. Oh and I make it an exercise when I log it so it is automatically accumulated into my calorie intake. Hope this helps and glad you are giving your child the BEST nutrition possible:flowerforyou:
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi THuffers!
    I have been exclusively breastfeeding since before I joined this site. I knew that you were supposed to eat 300-500 more calories while breastfeeding so I added about 400 up until 2 weeks ago when my son turned 1. I have slowly been going down on my calories for breastfeeding, which I add as a daily exercise. I now add in about 250 because my son still nurses in the morning, at night and a few short sessions during the day. I will probably go to 200 in the next couple of weeks and just slowly add less calories burned as my son weens. Although at the rate this kid is going, he will still be nursing when he goes to kindergarten (which I am strongly opposed to! :)-
    I think it is fantastic that you have chosen to breastfeed your child and I hope you are as successful as I have been at it and have the lucky opportunity and willingness to breastfeed until and/or beyond age 1.
    Congrats on the new baby!!! FYI: I was so motivated to lose my baby weight-that I am actually 30 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. Remember when nursing, your body wants to hold onto extra calories--it will be slow going and you just have to keep motivated!!! Good Luck!!
    297714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just go into your goals and use the custom setting to add 400 calories to your daily requirement. That way, your recommended protein, carbs, etc, for the day will be listed right away, rather than after you manually enter the "exercise of breastfeeding" (lol). It gets really annoying, having to enter an exercise you do everyday.

Btw, congrats on your choice to breastfeed! It's so healthy for both you and your baby. I don't understand why more women don't breastfeed exclusively....
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby!
    I add 450,as a cardio exercise,just pop it in everyday:flowerforyou: .
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    I agree to custom your settings. You don't want your supply to go down especially since you are EBF. I only BF 3 times a day as my little one is now 14 months.

I've seen this question a lot hopefully MFP will figure out a way to add it to make all BFing moms lives easier when using this site.

I also agree its great that your BFing. not only is it good for baby but for mom too. I nursed my first for 19 months and am still nursing my second so if you ever have any questions just PM me :):flowerforyou:

Congrats on the birth of you little one
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just go into your goals and use the custom setting to add 400 calories to your daily requirement. That way, your recommended protein, carbs, etc, for the day will be listed right away, rather than after you manually enter the "exercise of breastfeeding" (lol). It gets really annoying, having to enter an exercise you do everyday.

Btw, congrats on your choice to breastfeed! It's so healthy for both you and your baby. I don't understand why more women don't breastfeed exclusively....

Brilliant!
    I wish I would have read this before I posted!
  • THuffers
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions AND your support! :-D

I think I will try changing my goals for awhile and see how I like that and if I don't I'll add it as an exercise. You guys have been wonderful!