Fractured my ankle, now what. Eek!

I started my weight loss journey only 6 weeks ago (down 6lbs already) and yesterday I fractured my ankle. I'm not giving up, but I'd love some advice on how to make it thru these next 3-4 wks. Dr. Said 4 days-ish off my feet and then crutches and taking it easy on the ankle for the next couple of weeks. It's an avolsion fracture and should heal up nice. Anyone have activity ideas on how to burn some calories while not using my right foot?

Replies

• I have dealt with three foot surgeries during my weight loss journey and totally understand what you are saying! The hard truth is that it is difficult to burn large amounts of calories during the non-weight bearing time. However, stay fit with leg lifts and ab excersises as well as weight lifting. After a couple of weeks you should be able to swim again, which burns calories. Also, after a couple of weeks you should be able to start light biking. There is no doubt that this is a very frusterating time! But it will be over before you know it. Good luck!!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Lift weights! Seated....lol
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Lift weights! Seated....lol

That's what I was thinking, too, if your doctor says it's okay. 15lb handweights can put a hurting on you, and smaller ones can be done quickly to build up heartrate.

Also, shift focus to making the best possible dietary choices while you heal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i sprained my ankle on november 27th. i'm a super active guy, and it's been killing me not to be able to run or bike ride, or to lift weights.

i've been doing my best to keep my food intake tight. so concentrate on that.

once i was cleared, i started swimming as much as possible.

you can do one legged push ups, and if you have a pull up bar, you can do pull ups.
  • There's not really much cardio you can do, but you can do certain arm and ab workouts for sure!
    If you go to the gym, there's the arm cycling machine, where you sit down and cycle with your arms! That would be some cardio!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    I've been laid up with a knee injury since the beginning of November with no end in sight. Just stick to your calorie goals! You can still keep losing.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Don't panic! It'll come back, it's just patience and time.

Don't work out your legs, just let them heal normally, follow the docs advice and be gentle when you are able to use it normally again. You'll feel really silly if you hurt it more. Do some hand weights. If you're worried about gaining weight, make some diet changes. Keep your vitamin B intake up, it's believed to be helpful in healing nerve damage from injuries. I was recommended Vegemite by my osteopath, but whatever you've got locally full of Bs (as many as possible!) should be good.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    I had a total avolsion of my right Achilles tendon in Sept. I had surgery and a donor put in. I went to the gym and worked out from the waist up ;) It took some thinking and maneuvering to get it done but we did. I have a trainer at the gym I work out with. I can tell you I was able to maintain and lose during this time period. I just started walking 8weeks ago..

Good Luck!!
  • trishaeich
    trishaeich Posts: 40 Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm really trying to stay positive and focused. I think it will be lots of sit ups for this week and maybe some girlie push-ups (not strong enough for the one legged ones yet).
  • Maybe in a week or so you could try water walking/jogging. There's zero impact and it's great cardio - 10mins is more than 100 cal :)