1/2 inch heights - what do you use for tracking & planning?

Options
Just curious. I am 5' 8 1/2" tall. Whenever I have to put my height into heart rate monitors, body fat meters, TDEE calculators, etc., they NEVER have the 1/2" size as an option. So, should I use 5'8" or 5'9"? Which is more likely to give the better results and more accurate tracking and planning? Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? I've been using 5'8" figuring it'll give me the worst case scenario for my size/weight etc.

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I round down. It really doesn't make much diff though.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,054 Member
    Options
    Insignificant for tracking purposes. Either/or works.

If you are that concerned with perfection, this process is going to be very disappointing for you. Calorie counting is an imperfect science. Not only can you not get absolutes for food and exercise, but weight loss is not an exact science. You may or may not be able to lose weight "by the book". You have to let go of these type of concerns or you will work yourself into a neurotic mess :laugh:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really makes much of a difference. Just for fun, I ran these stats through fat2fit's BMR calculator: 46 year old, 160-pound female at 5'8" and 5'9". The difference in TDEE (at moderately active) is a whopping 7 calories (higher for the 5'9" female), which is insignificant considering that calorie intake/expenditure measurements are an inexact science anyway. If you want to err on one side or the other just for peace of mind, I'd err on the 5'8" side.