What to do with Tilapia.

Options
MelStren
MelStren Posts: 457 Member
My daughter has decided NOT to eat Tilapia. She had it once a year ago, came down sick and blamed it on the fish now she won't eat it. I'd like to HIDE it in something and see if she really gets sick or if it's all in her head. I need a recipe to hide it in.....

Replies

• trishcass46
    trishcass46 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Once when I ate it, it came up almost as quick as it went down so I was leary about eating it again. How will you feel if you "hide it in something" and she does get sick again?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Make a Courtbouillon (coo-be-yawn)

Make a dark roux. The roux is the key. If you dont know how to make one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3uGcdQNUw

To make a roux use a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron. Use a spatula instead of a whisk. Dont throw the "trinity" (onion, celery, bell pepper) in until the very last.

Some foolishly spend hours making a roux. I make mine fast using high heat. When the roux looks and smells right I cut the fire and throw in the trinity to stop the roux from burning. Keep stirring and let the onions caramelize a bit, and then add the stock.

If you need more tips on making a roux pm me cuz Chef Paul doesnt do a good job of explaining.

I dont have a particular recipe, I just throw a pinch of this and one of that so I just included two random recipes I found on the net. You can also substitute chicken bouillon for fish stock.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Courtbouillon

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/cajun-courtbouillon.html
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Can she tell that it's actually tilapia, or could you just do some baked fish dish and get away with it? It's a pretty generic flaky white fish. Maybe make haddock, halibut, or flounder?
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fish Tacos?

Maybe if you try the premade for a little bit she will be willing. Sam's and Walmart sell a parmesean crusted tilapia that is very very good. Maybe another fish for awhile? Cod with just olive oil and lemon pepper or Salmon with soy sauce and honey.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Use a better fish the Tilapia. Yuck
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LindaRoger
    Options
    I have a simple recipe that can be used with swai also
    You take light mayo 1 T per fillet add 1 t lemon juice and zest if you have fresh lemon mix and spread on fillet that has been dried,then take italian breads crumbs mix in Parmesan cheese 1 T each per fillet top and bake at 350 for about 15 mins sorry but you do have to watch close so fish doesn't over cook :happy: Hope she likes it
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia.. I agree, tell her it is something else.. if you season it different she might not know.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My daughter has decided NOT to eat Tilapia. She had it once a year ago, came down sick and blamed it on the fish now she won't eat it. I'd like to HIDE it in something and see if she really gets sick or if it's all in her head. I need a recipe to hide it in.....

Is there other fish she WILL eat? Have some sort of fish chowder and mix the tilapia in. Or same thing with fish tacos.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I make a killer sauce with coconut milk, lime and curry. I then broil the Tilapia in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil.
    When the tilapia is cooked I spoon the sauce on it and serve with either spinach or asparagus. Yum. Even my kids love it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What a horrible thing to do to someone. My parents 'hid vegetables' in my food when I was 7. I never ate another home-cooked meal. I can't tell you how violated I felt, but it stuck with me for decades, I couldn't eat food without first picking it into small enough pieces to know there wasn't something awful hidden in it.

You can't possibly be doing this for her benefit, she's not going to miss out on all the good things in life because she doesn't eat tilapia, nor is she going to be ostracized for it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with Serp. Eventually, when she gets older she may decide to give it another try. But, allow her to do it on her own time. Don't trick her or force her. And what if it really doesn't set with her right? And she gets sick again. I would feel horrible if I did that to my daughter and she got sick.
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    My three year old is super picky. I'm talking about he won't even touch mac-n-cheese picky. Mac-n-cheese used to be one of his favorite foods. When he would eat it, I used to bake the tilapia in the oven with a little bit of garlic, a tiny bit of salt and pepper on it. Once the fish had cooled, I would shred it with a fork (which isn't hard to do) and incorporate it into the mac-n-cheese. He loved it! Keep in mind that my son is super picky, but a year ago he would eat whatever I put in front of him.
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    Fish Tacos?

Maybe if you try the premade for a little bit she will be willing. Sam's and Walmart sell a parmesean crusted tilapia that is very very good. Maybe another fish for awhile? Cod with just olive oil and lemon pepper or Salmon with soy sauce and honey.

Also, cod is delicious. It's just a matter of her taste buds. My husband is 28 and still swears up and down that broccoli makes him sick, but he doesn't know that I use mashed cauliflower in our mashed potatoes. Shhh, don't tell him!
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    What a horrible thing to do to someone. My parents 'hid vegetables' in my food when I was 7. I never ate another home-cooked meal. I can't tell you how violated I felt, but it stuck with me for decades, I couldn't eat food without first picking it into small enough pieces to know there wasn't something awful hidden in it.

You can't possibly be doing this for her benefit, she's not going to miss out on all the good things in life because she doesn't eat tilapia, nor is she going to be ostracized for it.

Seriously, if I didn't hide healthy foods in my son's foods, he wouldn't eat it (and I'm talking about I have to be super spy sneaky). He takes multivitamins every day in gummy form (which is the one thing he is excited about eating), but other than that if I didn't hide healthy stuff in his food he wouldn't get any nutrition. My son is very tall and skinny for his age, which doesn't surprise me given his father's lineage, but still...just because your parent's hide something in your food shouldn't mean you'll be traumatized. My mother used to try and pass off liver and onions as steak--she was never successful with me because of the smell, but still. Parents have good intentions.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    We have eaten Tilapia for years..before it was popular. It is a great source of the right fats, pretty much takes on the flavor and tastes of whatever you season it with, is low in sodium, etc. A very healthy fresh water whitefish.

Tilapia tacos are great...if you bake them. We sear the tilapia in EVOO in a pan and then put in a corn tortilla with raw veggies of our choice, then bake in the oven at 400 till the tortillas brown up to tacos. That's just one way. We also eat salmon, mahi mahi, tuna steak, and spam...NOT! Hah! I also make our own low sodium shrimp cocktail sauce for seasoning...healthy horseradish and healthy homemade cole slaw as well to add to the tacos.

But, I have lived on the coast(s) for years...love it as does my landlubber wife!

Good luck to you...it's a great food :drinker:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    First off, I don't like the idea of hiding foods. Then again, I'm not a parent, so I'm not usually one to discussing parenting methods.

With that said, tilapia is not a high quality fish. It usually can't stand on its own merit. However, it can provide a good meal. The key to tilapia is the way in which it is seasoned. I like to season tilapia in some cajun seasonings or basic lemon pepper.
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    First off, I don't like the idea of hiding foods. Then again, I'm not a parent, so I'm not usually one to discussing parenting methods.

With that said, tilapia is not a high quality fish. It usually can't stand on its own merit. However, it can provide a good meal. The key to tilapia is the way in which it is seasoned. I like to season tilapia in some cajun seasonings or basic lemon pepper.

I respect your quote. However, tilapia is low in sodium, fats, and cholesterol. For those of us in our 50's...a major concern. Not a high quality fish? Maybe, but depends on how you cook it and serve it and what you serve with it just like anything else. To quote several sites..."It is the chicken of the fish market". However, I only buy organic chicken. It's a great fish within the fish market. If you want more taste, sodium, and cholestorol...eat Swai.

Thanks!

edit: "Tilapia has become the third most important fish in aquaculture after carp and salmon"...uh, I'll eat one of those! Hah! Carp tacos??? Heh :noway:
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like to smother mine in Newman's black bean and corn salsa. Yum!
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    I like to smother mine in Newman's black bean and corn salsa. Yum!

Oh my...love it! But I make my own...great call :wink: