How do you keep the motivation to workout?

Options
I can get the motivation and it will last a week, 2 tops! How do you keep the motivation to keep going? especially when there seems to be no progress?!

Replies

• swiftjay
    Options
    The reason for loosing weight needs to be a strong reason you need to keep that in mind when ever you do working out. The important thing is to not try and burn yourself out by going hard from the beginning but go slowly into working out then gradually build yourself up on it.

I use to work out twice a week now after months I cycle to work and do cycling for fitness on sundays along with going gym. I'm a bit over kill though lol. I say try start slowly like walk to town if it's near by, walk to stores rather then driving maybe walk or jog around the park on the weekends when your free then start pushing it a bit more as the weeks and months go by.

Also eating healthy is a very key point in loosing weight too you can't do exercise and not eat healthy and expect to get results it's a combination of both.

Also music is a good way of keeping motivated when working out and also setting short term goals.

Like loosing 6 pounds you'll treat yourself to some new clothes or going out to a junk food restaurant etc. Just things like that can help keep you motivated and also finding healthy alternatives that taste amazing that also helps big time.
  • patty4899
    Options
    For me I had to hire a trainer, best money ever spent. He keeps me motivated and its someone to answer to.......
  • synostosis
    synostosis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find a few things have worked for me.

1. I make it super convenient. My gym is in the buidling I work in. And I go to the gym on my lunch hour. No excuses!
    2. I schedule it in my calendar so even on days I'm not working (the weekend) or at work, I get my *ss there and get it done! Check!
    3. Get it done. No excuses. Put it on your 'to do' calendar and stop talking yourself out of it.

That works for me. From reading your message, it sounds like you're putting your attention on the progress. Don't put your energy there! It's too easy get disappointed. Losing weight is about the actions you take. Focus on the actions you need to take not on the result (losing weight).

Let me know how you do. Friend me and I can also pester you about your workouts. ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't want to look like a skinnyfatass.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures and leave them all over the place where you will see them constantly.
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I have a long way to go, but I've also come pretty far, so turning back is NOT an option. I get up early so I have plenty of time to get in my exercise before work. NO EXCUSES. I feel stronger and more energized and a lot more confident. All of those things are great motivators.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I like pain. It keeps me coming back to the gym.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't want to look like a skinnyfatass.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Um just do it. In reality it's really not that hard. most people dont' want to get up and go to a job they hate - yet they do it every day, for years on end. so just go work out. afterall, it's not torture. (well sometimes it is, but it's a good kind of torture). ;)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How do you keep the motivation to workout
    ANSWER: find a way to love it.

Seriously, tap into your passions.
    What do you enjoy? Find a way to integrate healthy activities into your exercise program.
    Some folks love jogging; I detest jogging.
    I prefer swimming or hiking.
    One guy might enjoy lifting weight, but I prefer calisthenics.
    Have fun!
    And this does not mean that exercise is pure joy 100% of the time; I'm not saying that, but if you tap your true passions, match this with activities, exercise will become a part of your life like breathing.
    Soon, you will look forward to it like your hobby.
    Believe it!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Find something you love and you will always have the motivation ;)

Sometimes it helps to find something new as well. I often get into a funk if I do the same thing for a month, so I always try to switch things up, try new classes, etc.
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My motivation when i dont feel like doing anything is to think to myself - "i want to fit that dress. i need to fit that dress. nobody else is going to do it for me so i may as well work my *kitten* off"
    And every workout is one step closer to your goal, whether you see results or not, just keep going and dont quit till you get the body you want!
  • srd2b
    srd2b Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well said @marycmeadows. You just have to make it a habit. I have a schedule that I stick to. Some days are definitely harder than others. Another thing that keeps me going is it really helps me control my weight gain. Just keep working at it.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Um just do it. In reality it's really not that hard. most people dont' want to get up and go to a job they hate - yet they do it every day, for years on end. so just go work out. afterall, it's not torture. (well sometimes it is, but it's a good kind of torture). ;)

'Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it....

at least, that's what comes to my mind.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like pain. It keeps me coming back to the gym.

This, too
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You say you see no progress after 2 weeks. What progress are you looking for? If you are looking for a change in the mirror you have your motivation wrong imo. Improved strength and/or endurance should be the focus on progress - the weight loss will come with it (assuming your diet is aligned).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I have a long way to go, but I've also come pretty far, so turning back is NOT an option. I get up early so I have plenty of time to get in my exercise before work. NO EXCUSES. I feel stronger and more energized and a lot more confident. All of those things are great motivators.

It affects me like this, too.

Also my moods are so much better in general. I remember a year or so ago reading someone's quote: You are only one workout away from a good mood!

That sometimes gets me going when I'm cranky because it's really true for me, especially if I get out in the sun and the nice, cold fresh air!

Also, I found that shortening my workout and upping the intensity helped. Plodding along outside for an hour was great last year when it was all I could do, but now I'd rather jog for 20-40 minutes.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I can get the motivation and it will last a week, 2 tops! How do you keep the motivation to keep going? especially when there seems to be no progress?!

1) I'm sick of being FAT

2) I keep an item of clothing that I want to wear hanging out where I can see it. For AGES it was a size 14 skort. Now it is a pair of size 11/12 dress pants and a sleeveless top that will show every bulge.

3) the scenery at the gym is great! The trainer is like 23 and really cute...and he happens to work all 4 days that I go in to workout.

4) I have gotten to know a few people at the gym, and they randomly stroke my ego by telling me that THEY have seen progress.

5) take pictures. Sometimes pictures will show a change that the mirror or scale does not.
  • gipsykiss
    gipsykiss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :wink: Nicely said!!!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Repeat after me, " I refuse to be FAT again!!" "Being fat STOPS now!"