calories burned while walking in the snow...

Options
So I'm 149 lb now (started @ 165 lb, yippy!), and I walk to work pretty much everyday, 20 min each way. MFP says I burn about 74 calories each way. From living in Canada, I KNOW that walking in snow (especially soft snow) takes much more energy than walking on clear pavement. So how can I track this? Anyone know? I know maybe it's a bit ambiguous since "snow" can differ from a few inches to a few feet, but any sort of estimation might help :)

Replies

• Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM??
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I would prolly log it as walking through sand, which is in the database. I think sand, mud, snow, or anything else you have to trudge through the calorie burn is similar.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Suggestion - get a HRM. That's probably going to be the best way for you to know if you want something more accurate than general websites.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Found this if it helps>

Changing Conditions
    The amount of calories burned from walking depends on speed and terrain. Imagine walking from your car to your workplace in perfect weather conditions and on level ground. If you were a 150-lb. person of average build, you would burn about 136 calories per hour with this type of walking. But make that walk uphill in the snow (much like a story your grandpa probably told you), and the rate can jump to over 400 calories an hour.

Read more: How Many Calories Does Walking Burn? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4569224_many-calories-walking-burn_.html#ixzz2GaDRwJWs
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You need to get an HRM. I can tell you that I hike in regular weather and snow. Calorie burn is marginally higher in snow for me, but not by much really. In fact, since you go slower overall in pace (because of footing issues), I find it is pretty much a wash.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would prolly log it as walking through sand, which is in the database. I think sand, mud, snow, or anything else you have to trudge through the calorie burn is similar.

I've also been walking in the snow the last couple days and went looking for an entry for "snow", "beach" or "sand" and couldn't find anything. I have been just logging it regularly and knowing at the end of the day I've actually done more than it says :)

I might consider adding 20% to my time or saying I walked faster than I did.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    no I don't have a HRM, I probably should look into it though :)

I do know my heart rate is higher in the cold early mornings though because the cold air in the winter affects my ashma, which as a result increases my heart rate :/

Oh well, as I thought I guess there is no magic number :)
  • PrimalFemale52
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone would have any idea about calories burned while walking in snow barefoot. I know this may sound strange to people.............but, when I was a k id I used to do it all the time. I was trying to get sick................it back fired, and I never caught anything. Now, that I am an adult I have heard that it helps stimulate your immune system, and your metabolism. Any thoughts?
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but walking in packed snow increases your calorie burn by 60% So if you normally burn 100 calories on your walk on sidewalk or other tamped surface, you can log 160 calories for the same distance/time/effort.

The above is from Weight Watchers, Snow Day Workout!!

Connie
    Pomona, MO and yes, we do get snow. Generally it doesn't amount to much but this year we've had about about 14" in southern Missouri.
  • baccimar
    baccimar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is probably about the same as walking a flat surface but you will do more to strengthen your muscles giving you a faster resting metabolism. This will help you burn more calories in the long run!