BodyPod or DEXA scan

Options
Has anyone gotten either of these ?

Replies

• chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Had a Dexa scan at work for free. The most accurate way to determine total bf including the fat you shouldn't lose.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I've had a couple of DEXA scans. They are really great. The bone density was an eye opener.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for a DEXA scan this coming Saturday. Excited to see what's really going on with fat %. Online calculators give me ranges from 26-59%!! That's a HUGE variance.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The difference between the two is that the BodyPod does not account for bone density ?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod is very accurate. DEXA may be more accurate (I'm not sure) but the BOD POD is very good, less expensive, and doesn't expose you to radiation. I may have a DEXA scan done at some point but I was very happy with Bod Pod.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I've had the Bod Pod done 4-5 times in the last year. It's fast, very accurate, accountable and cheaper than a dexa scan. I'll get a Dexa when I'm medically required to get one for bone density testing, not a BF check.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Where do you get these scans and about how much do they run?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    dexa does everything I think. Bone mass, skeletal muscle mass, water mass, fat mass
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Bod Pod will vary with region and availability. It's more popular where I live because I live in the breeding ground for Fitness/Figure competitors so many fitness clubs etc have one. They are $25 for one session or 5/$100; which my husband and I will share a package and have it evaluated every 8 weeks or so when we were cutting. I've had others say with less availability they are priced $50+.

Dexa Scans can be ordered through a doctor and range from $125-200, varying.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've done the BodPod three times. My results have always been in line with the charts, so I guess I have a "typical" body. It does give quite a comprehensive view of several factors.

In conjunction with the BodPod, I've checked my strength, endurance and flexibility. I have a ways to go before I'm satisfied in any of these areas. That is incentive to get to the gym.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    You do get some radiation with DEXA that you don't get with the BodPod. So there's that. It is pretty cool, though, to get to see your skeleton inside an outline of your soft tissues (if you're into that sort of thing). You get a pretty detailed breakdown of your body composition and how dense your bones are.

Seeing my bones actually made me rethink my body image; the way my hips and rib cage are, I will never, ever have a tiny waist. There's no way, unless I have a couple of ribs removed. I wish I'd known this when I was a teenager/young adult!

I think the bone density thing is a bigger deal for women as we tend to have a greater problem with that.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

Bod Pod will vary with region and availability. It's more popular where I live because I live in the breeding ground for Fitness/Figure competitors so many fitness clubs etc have one. They are $25 for one session or 5/$100; which my husband and I will share a package and have it evaluated every 8 weeks or so when we were cutting. I've had others say with less availability they are priced $50+.

Dexa Scans can be ordered through a doctor and range from $125-200, varying.

Wow. I've had quotes for £100 for bodpod and £450 for dextascan in Edinburgh, UK!

Sooo fed up of fitness things being so much more expensive/ harder to get hd of in the UK, compared to USA. I suppose at least we get free health care though.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My BodPod video I took a few years ago.

http://youtu.be/-7Tghi8hMKQ?t=3m16s