Just a hypothetical question:

Paeonia
Paeonia Posts: 161
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
For a small-framed, sedentary person...if you were to eat 1200 calories a day, and did zero exercise, would you lose weight? I know it is better for your health to exercise, just wondering on a hypothetical level.

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Yes.

When I did weight watchers the last time I lost weight, they didn't even introduce the exercise points until week 4!
  • ladysatin
    ladysatin Posts: 35 Member
    not necessarily. it just depends on what you do during the day.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Yes, if you have a caloric deficit you will lose. However, for a small person I wouldn't know what your bmr would be, so it would probably take you awhile to see a loss if your bmr was only a little above 1200.
  • I honestly believe that the exercise does help with the weight loss but more so with your size when you reach your goal. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it is also much smaller pound for pound. I lost a lot about 20 years ago w/o any exercise and wore a size 16 weighing 160 pounds. Had kids and gained it back, plus. Now I am losing again and after exercising 2 years and losing 70 pounds already I am wearing a size 16 again but still am a bit over 200. By the time I hit 160 again I will be a few sizes smaller then last time.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    In theory, yes. If you eat less than your caloric needs for the day (how many calories you burn just being alive, and the activities you do during the day), you SHOULD lose weight. In theory. It works for me, so far. Does that mean it will work for everyone? I don't know. Here are links to some of my favorite posts. Reading these will answer all kinds of questions for you!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    There are more, but this will give you TONS of great reading to start!
  • Paeonia
    Yes, if you have a caloric deficit you will lose. However, for a small person I wouldn't know what your bmr would be, so it would probably take you awhile to see a loss if your bmr was only a little above 1200.

My BMR is 1,279 cals a day.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    For a small-framed, sedentary person...if you were to eat 1200 calories a day, and did zero exercise, would you lose weight? I know it is better for your health to exercise, just wondering on a hypothetical level.

You will lose weight, but why would you not want to exercise? You will end up looking "fat skinny". Exercise, especially strength training is necessary for good core muscles in the stomach, sides and back area.
  • Paeonia
    You will lose weight, but why would you not want to exercise? You will end up looking "fat skinny". Exercise, especially strength training is necessary for good core muscles in the stomach, sides and back area.

I do cardio 5x a week for 40 mins, so I do believe in exercising. I was just wondering as a hypothetical.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Unfortunately as you lose weight w/o exercise there is some muscle loss as well. And that can lead to health problems down the road. Besides lean muscle looks much better nekkid than skinny flab. A lb of muscle = a pound of fat, but muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. Thus workouts, accompanied by a healthy diet, gives a much more appealing figure.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    yes you will lose weight. I do, exercise is the worse thing on earth to me!
This discussion has been closed.