MFP goals

Options
When I enter my calories and exercise for the day I always get told what I'd weigh in 5 weeks if I kept it up. Well Im keeping it up and I haven't lost a pound. I weigh 197 but according to that little note I will be 178.5 in 5 weeks. Than why aren't I?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    MFP is a website, you are a person. It can't track your specific body build, minute muscle and body changes, or how or where your body retains water and salt weight. Lots of people swear by the MFP weight calculator - mine has never been accurate.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It is based off what MFP estimates to be your TDEE. Either that is not really your TDEE or your calorie estimations are off.
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I need to exercise well beyond what MFP says to have the slightest weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's based on an equation, which is based on a estimate. Lots of things can effect your actual losses. Mine is rarely accurate but once I found the sweet spot that lets me lose I learned to trust in the long term. If you're just starting out though it'll help you to learn what your actual TDEE is so you'll know whether you're experiencing normal fluctuations or your calorie goal is off.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried a lower and higher calorie gola and still didn't lose, so confusing
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I enter my calories and exercise for the day I always get told what I'd weigh in 5 weeks if I kept it up. Well Im keeping it up and I haven't lost a pound. I weigh 197 but according to that little note I will be 178.5 in 5 weeks. Than why aren't I?

First of all, you can't be calculating your calorie needs correctly. To lose 20 pounds in 5 weeks, you're losing 4 pounds a week, which would be 14000 calorie deficit. So you'd be 2000 calories under your calorie needs every day. That just ain't gonna happen.

Look at your numbers again. MFP recommends one pound a week - 3500 calorie deficit. That is 500 calories under your needs every day. It will also not let you go under 1200 calories per day.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You need to track your own trends and make adjustments as needed.
    It's calories in vs calories burned.
    Your input is not correct.
    Fix it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Double check your TDEE.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.