Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat.

Options
2»

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, but muscle is denser than fat so a square inch of muscle is going to weigh more than a square inch of fat. It is all a matter of how you look at it.

**edit for type-o**

This is how I think of it too- technically, muscle does weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, but a square inch of one is not a square inch of another. A pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat.

That is not weight, that difference is volume. There is a difference between volume and weight. So technically muscle still does not weigh more than fat.

I said that's how *I* think of it. :)

I guess those of us with mathematical backgrounds and think technically are a bit anal about weights and measures.

Ok i might not have a "mathematical backgroun" but I *think* I remember enough of my highschool math to know that 1 cubic inch of fat & 1 cubic inch of muscle are the same volume correct? and one cubic inch of fat weighs less than 1 cubin inch of muscle correct? and that 1 pound of muscle has less volume than 1 pound of fat correct? so... doesnt that mean muscle weighs more than fat? I mean... again I'm sure I'm not the most "educated" person on this board, so I might be completely off base... so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you need volume as a definer otherwise you're just stating a basic mathematical fact- a pound is a pound. Then again I, neither, have a mathematical background. :ohwell:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    See, all I was doing was explaining a pet peeve of mine. Not putting down anyone's level of education.

Yes, you are correct. The way my co worker was explaining it was incorrect. The common sentence people say is incorrect in the context it is mostly used. The girl had gained 5 lbs and couldn't button her jeans (she was complaining at lunch) and she said, "It's probably muscle since muscle weighs more than fat." It's just not the case and in that instance, how she was explaining it was wrong. I'm sorry to have started a debate here.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    See, all I was doing was explaining a pet peeve of mine. Not putting down anyone's level of education.

Yes, you are correct. The way my co worker was explaining it was incorrect. The common sentence people say is incorrect in the context it is mostly used. The girl had gained 5 lbs and couldn't button her jeans (she was complaining at lunch) and she said, "It's probably muscle since muscle weighs more than fat." It's just not the case and in that instance, how she was explaining it was wrong. I'm sorry to have started a debate here.

Don't be sorry!!! It's not your fault people take venting so seriously around here :tongue: Sometimes you just have to vent and let the debate rage on. In the specific case you just detailed - obviously that was some seriously bad advice! If you gain weight and your pants are looser, that could be an increase in muscle mass, but . . . :ohwell:
  • sunshineshardz
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this! It is definitely not the proper thing to be saying. And for those who get frustrated by the scale being stuck- take measurements!! :D You'll see that even though the scale stays the same, your clothes will be fitting better and you will look tighter. Cause like it was pointed out a lb of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    wow i think you all just need some chocolate and a hug :)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

LMAO! really? she actually thought she'd gained muscle since her jeans wouldnt fit??

I wasnt so much answering you as I was the "mathematical background" comment. I was reading BrendaLee's comment and nodding cause it was how I thought of it and felt kinda like my intelligence had been put down when her theory was shot down in that way. maybe thats not how Lioness meant it but thats how I read it.... eh maybe I'm just feeling sensative today :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem distinguishing between muscle and fat.

Now--what about the toilet paper roll? Over or under?
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I lol'ed when I read this.

Muscle weighs more than fat, just like lead weighs more than feathers.

You can always debate what the expression itself means, but the point is (and I think most people understand it) that you can be thin and muscular and weigh the same as someone who has a lot of fat.

What annoys me is people who SAY "Muscle weighs more than fat!" without knowing what that means, and how that applies to the human body. I see it all the time- someone starts up a new fitness regime. They work out for maybe a week or two, and don't see any results right away. They complain. Some well-meaning person steps up and says, "Oh, muscle weighs more than fat! You're just losing fat, but gaining muscle."

The problem is, they don't have a REAL understanding of how a human body actually builds muscle mass, how long it takes, etc. They're repeating a 'catch phrase' and, in the process, spreading misinformation.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    One pound of fat weighs the same as one pound of muscle, which weighs the same as one pound of feathers, which weighs the same as one pound of brinks. They all weigh one pound. Like the childhood riddle, "Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of brinks". They both way a pound, of course.

However, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

MFP can be entertaining and informative. Keep up the lively discussions, which are full of the hope for better health to all!! :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    Options

Oooh, now that's a debate you don't want to start!

Over.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    OVER...because in the middle of the night I do not want to be fighting the toilet paper in the dark! It always wins!

LOL
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

Over.

depends on whether its me or the hubby changing the toilet paper roll... if its me: over ALWAYS over for the same reason Lacey said, if its him: to the left... because I dont think he actually knows how to change the roll, instead he sets the new one on the sink.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I think the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing is basically just a way to cheer someone up when they didn't lose anything, or instead of telling the girl who couldn't button her jeans that mayb she gained a little weight lol

The only thing I know about muscle (according to research I've read) is that muscle burns like 50 times more than fat sooooo if you want that fat to burn then you need more muscle to help burn it! That's all I care about muscle for and hey I'll definitely take some more muscle and see the scale not moving for a little while, if it'll help burn the fat later on & help me lose those inches!
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Jerzee :flowerforyou: Best REPLY REWARD goes to you!
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Double post...sorry
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Over.

depends on whether its me or the hubby changing the toilet paper roll... if its me: over ALWAYS over for the same reason Lacey said, if its him: to the left... because I dont think he actually knows how to change the roll, instead he sets the new one on the sink.

I personally don't care one way or the other, but my wife is totally anal about it. I purposely never remember her preference. That way, whenever I put it on, I have a 50/50 chance of really pis--ng her off.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

Over.

I personally don't care one way or the other, but my wife is totally anal about it. I purposely never remember her preference. That way, whenever I put it on, I have a 50/50 chance of really pis--ng her off.

That's horrible. lol
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Good God you all you so sensitive. I wasn't putting down anyone's educational background, my comment has been taken way out of context via the impersonal words on a computer screen. If you had heard me say it, you would have probably laughed..........

Geez.................

I just stated that most of us with a mathematical background are a bit anal about the terminology of muscle weighing more than fat.

Volume is a different weight of measure than poundage.

Gosh, it is ok for the English professors to come on here and tell their pet peeves and why it is a pet peeve, but I make 1 comment and it begins an uproar.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love a good debate! And I love that muscles take up less room that fat. And I'm an OVER girl! Thanks. Just my 2¢:drinker:
  • Rev_no_Boosh
    Options

No doubt, OVER. It just makes things easier. IMHO.

Edit for a type-o. They're endemic in this thread.