2012, the year I kicked myself off the Couch!

For those interested in the picture, skip to the end! :D (I don't judge, I do that too, then go back up and read the text!)

I debated about posting this as, for one, I am not done. It is also incredibly hard for me to post it, because it's hard for me to see myself and how bad I'd let myself get.

But I think a good year in review (for me) is a good idea. This year, I have learned *so* much and I have come *so* far that, as my husband would have it, why not share and rejoice in the hard work that has come out of 2012. I have lost 35.4 kg / 78 pounds in the last 11 months. I have one more month to go before I hit my big one year mark.

At the start, when I found these forums, I was too shy to really post or comment on anything. I'd look at the success stories (success stories and motivation are the two forums I primarily look at, though sometimes I take a peek at fitness) and wish that they were me. And that I was at the end of the journey already. In addition to slimming down, I've had to fight the internal battles like everyone else.

But I've learned so much.

Things I hoped for:
-- I'd eventually get down into a single digit size.
-- I'd have more energy (this year alone was packed with more fun adventures than any year since I was a child).
-- I was able to fully enjoy my 10 year wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii, where my husband and I hiked all over Maui and the Big Island. We had so many adventures -- we wouldn't have had that if it weren't for getting healthy.

How I did it (common question):
-- I found the right diet plan for me. I don't eat clean, don't pretend to eat clean, don't claim to eat clean. My palette is so picky that I have to pick the foods that will be sustainable for *me*. What I did, won't work for everyone, nor would everyone be interested in what I ate! I started off at 1200 calories, but then found some random post by accident that showed me I didn't have to live in constant food rage (and thus endangering my co-workers lives), and could have more to eat and still lose the weight. I've been at it for 11 months, and I've lost 78 pounds. Seems to work for me! But mostly I lived by: balanced diet, everything in moderation. I don't deprive myself, but I don't spoil myself either. If I really want something, I have it and I make up for it in various ways throughout the week -- more exercise, eat more conservatively later, etc.

-- I exercise, I strength train, I go out in nature and walk and hike and run and play. I couldn't do this if I had to live at the gym. The world's a big stage and there's a LOT of things out there still to find! I've come to love hiking! I've even got me a hiking stick! I plan on doing more of that when the weather warms up again.

-- Perseverance. I had good days, I had bad days, and I've worked mentally to not sweat the small stuff. I still work on this -- some days are easier than others, but I'm getting better!

-- I cut out all my liquid calories unless I treated myself. (I have a Starbucks addiction -- well a coffee addiction entirely)

-- I focused on lowering Body Fat % and not the scale. I weigh myself every day at exactly the same time because it works for me, and because I'm a data trending lover. I love having data! This won't work for everyone, but it works for me.

-- Most importantly, I tried to remember it didn't come on quick, and it surely isn't going to come off quickly! I had to have *patience*.

I didn't grow up overweight. I grew up skinny, and I was skinny in HS, and I was skinny in college until money problems and medical problems did a number on me. For a while I couldn't afford food to eat, so I didn't eat. Then when I could eat, oh boy was it something I DID.

According to my BF% and lean mass, I've got another 25-30 pounds to go until I'm in my goal body fat range (22ish%). Come January, my husband and I are going to be hitting it hard again. We had some family problems, medical issues, and other things that cut into our exercise schedule, but we're now both healthy and plan to hit the ground running after the new year!

I'm healthier, happier, and a much smaller me! I've reclaimed my life and my ability to enjoy it. I am proud of what I've done.

Now onto the picture!

Just a note: This year was the FIRST year in many that I felt comfortable taking pictures Christmas day! In my pajamas! Without trying to hide or pose (other than the OMG it's christmas morning and I've reverted to a 5-year-old faces) or anything! So I had to include it as a last minute picture. I will say that the Christmas morning picture is only edited to cut me out of the picture and put onto this collage. It wasn't sized or skewed or anything.

transformation_Beth_MFP_collage_600.png

Replies

• glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    Amazing job/transformation! You are quite an inspiration :)
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    this is awesome! you've come such a long way and done an AMAZING job!! :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    You are an amazing inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Wow you look amazing, thanks for sharing your story. :happy:
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    I love your post! So inspiring. Way to go and thanks for posting!
  • cklowery36
    cklowery36 Posts: 151 Member
    SOOOOO wonderful to read your success story! Thank you SO much for sharing it and talking about how you reclaimed your life and that the journey is always worth it! I gotta know though: where'd you get Hello Kitty with glasses?!!! I love it!!! :bigsmile:
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Fantastic! Your husband is right, show yourself off girl! Thank you for sharing your amazing and inspirational story.

P.S. You look incredible!!!!!!
  • Truly wonderful!
    Thank you very much for posting even though you aren't officially "done" yet

You look absolutely amazing, such a noticeable difference, and congratulations on all your progress so far, I hope you and your husband have a great 2013 :D
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    What an amazing job!! :) Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and fabulous photos!! :)
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Thanks for posting!! You are an inspiration for me! I want to focus on moderation, not deprivation. How many calories did you shoot for? i have decided the 1200 thing is for the birds. I am trying about 1650, which is right at my BMR. Curious if that is what you did? Still tweaking my lifestyle change!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    OMG! Thank you guys so much! :D

ckward -- I got that bad boy at Hot Topic. I was SO EXCITED that I was able to finally fit into that store! So I came away armed with quite a few Hello Kitty (obviously, I'm addicted) shirts. :D:D
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    LBNOakland -- I did 1200 at first, like I said, then when I found a post (Um, I think it was entitled something 'road map'), I figured out my BMR based on my body fat percent and ate above that. So I ate between 1450 - 1600 calories (and still do) depending on how hungry I am. If I'm not hungry, I don't force myself to eat all of my calories. I really wish MFP would allow for a range to stay in rather than a solid number.

My BMR based on my body fat percent is like 1400-ish and the other BMR (the more common number) is like 1600ish. I eat more if I exercise more, but I've been pretty sedentary this fall due to surgeries, holidays, etc. So it just depends on how active I am.

And it seems to be working! I need to up the exercise ante to get things rolling again, but I plan to do that after New Years Eve. I plan to have PIE. ;)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Congratulations on your success so far! Thank you for sharing how far you have come with us. Especially thank you for sharing your observations about yourself and what works for you. Certainly this will help some others along the way, and you've done some a great service by taking the time to share. You have made an amazing transformation. Please come back and share again when you reach your goal, too. I'm like you and about 20 or so lbs away from my goal. It's almost close enough I can taste it! We will both get there with continued perseverance and dedication to a healthy lifestyle. You are truly an inspiration! May 2013 bring you all your dreams come true!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Excellent results and dedication. Congrats!
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    This is such a wonderful transformation. Congrats on your success.
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Great work!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Congratulations! You have made an amazing transformation and are truly an inspiration. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed post as well. It's always nice to hear exactly how people make the transformation (and of course then look at the pictures. Haha). Keep up the great work! :smile:
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Way to go!!! You look awesome!
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Can I just say that you are truly amazing! I am about to hit it hard again come January and this is just what I needed to see to help me realize that I can do this. It used to be all or nothing attitude for me, but I have to realize that I can do this and not deprive myself of the things in life that I enjoy! Thank you so much for posting this!

Tracy
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Huray for you! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!