Fat and Protein

Options
How bad is it if I'm under or meeting my caloric intake for the day, but my fat and protein are over (in the red) ? Is that just not real healthy, or is it going to hinder weight loss or both?

Replies

• jenricher
    Options
    Well its bad. You probably are going to get high cholesterol. Change your diet so it is more balanced.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Watch the eggs and cheese. That's what does it for me. I've already over my daily fat allotment, 2 eggs, 2 slices of cheese and a packet of mayo did me in.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    Depends - I often go over my fats and proteins, but theyre are mono and poly - unsaturated fats from nuts.

If you're going over and its all saturated and trans, thats a different story.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    As bebhinn said, it depends what kind of fat for sure there are some that are better than others despite all being the same number of calories.

Also are you sure your numbers are set right? I (and other knowledgeable people around here) tend to believe MFP's protein percentage is on the low side.
  • gottagetitoff
    Options
    Protein is low on here so I always go over...it's ok esp if you are working out. Watch the fats more closely...make them "good" fats...
  • Greenl
    Options
    Hi, I'm new, but 'm having issues with my protein count. my calories are always under but my proteins are constantly over, how can i avoid this from happening?
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The protein is certainly too low! Go in and manually adjust your settings to a higher percentage. I use 40% currently. Drink lots and lots of water.
  • dclarsh1
    Options
    Don't stress out too much about the distribution of your calories for a single day. If you start to see a pattern (like every day you're over on your fat), then you might want to make adjustments. But for the most part, as long as you eat a varied, wholesome diet, it should all balance out in the long run.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The protein is certainly too low! Go in and manually adjust your settings to a higher percentage. I use 40% currently. Drink lots and lots of water.

I have played around on all the tabs, but can't figure out how to adjust the settings manually. I feel like I am eating healthier than I have ever have in my life, but maybe still making some bad choices. I may need to make more adjustments as time goes on. But for instance today, I ate a light yogurt and coffee w/creamer for breakfast, lunch was a white hoagie roll with oven roasted chicken, a slice of swiss cheese and bacon with a TB of mayo. Snack was a string cheese and then later a fat free jello with 2 TB fat free whipped cream. Dinner was a salad with grilled chicken, 1/4 C cheese and 3 TB light ranch dressing. I didn't think that seemed so bad :ohwell:

I always get at least 8 glasses of water in a day and I have been very sedentary but taking up doing 15 min on a gazelle glider (which I will evenually go for more time, but I'm out of shape right now and that's all I can handle, lol)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Well its bad. You probably are going to get high cholesterol. Change your diet so it is more balanced.

Please research before making comments such as this one.

I have been told to raise my cholesterol and I eat upwards of 50-60% fat each day. And <gasp>, it is mostly saturated fats, but yet my cholesterol goes down.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Depends - I often go over my fats and proteins, but theyre are mono and poly - unsaturated fats from nuts.

Saturated fats are not bad for us.

Trans fats are bad, bad, bad....................
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options

For MOST people, a moderate intake of Saturated fats is OK. I clearly meant that if she was skyrocketing her fats far over the proposed limit and they were ALL saturated fats or trans fats , that she probably wasn't obtaining/maintaining a healthy fat balance.

It has been recommended to me both by doctors and a nutritionist that approximately 25-30% of my daily calories come from fat. Of that 25-30%, the types of fats should be spread across evenly about 10% each.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

For MOST people, a moderate intake of Saturated fats is OK. I clearly meant that if she was skyrocketing her fats far over the proposed limit and they were ALL saturated fats or trans fats , that she probably wasn't obtaining/maintaining a healthy fat balance.

It has been recommended to me both by doctors and a nutritionist that approximately 25-30% of my daily calories come from fat. Of that 25-30%, the types of fats should be spread across evenly about 10% each.

I have a saturated fat intake of about 50% per day (bacon, beef with the fat on it, etc) and my cholesterol has went down and is now down to the point my doctor has told me I need to raise it a bit, which I don't know how I can do that.

I just hate seeing fat get demonized when it is necessary for the body to function properly. I am not saying you are demonizing it, but most people on this site do.

Granted, I haven't had any trans fats (artificial) in over a year.