New & need support & motivation!!

Options
Hi my name is Melissa and i have 2 beautiful little girls that keep me very busy! I gained sooo mcuh weight after weaning my 2nd child from breastfeeding and am struggling to lose it. Before kids i was 145 and as of this morning i hit my highest weight of 209! My health is suffering and so is my energy. My self esteem dropped and i cry often while getting dressed. Today is the day i change...i can not live like this anymore!! I really hope this site is what i need to get me back to who i was and who i still am inside!!!

Replies

• rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi!!!

I'm Heather, we all need support, that is why are are ALL HERE!!!! I'm here if you need to vent, talk, laugh, cry, ask a question, or chime in on a conversation... friend me if you like... and we can be buddies....:flowerforyou:
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa! Welcome and don't feel down on yourself. We all get to the point that we feel there is no return, but you will prevail. You WANT it! You've said it out loud, you know how it makes you feel right now and it's all good things going forward.

We are all here for encouragement and support. What is your plan to reach your goals? Do you have a program in place? A meal plan? I'd be happy to help you, otherwise I'm here to be an ear, shoulder or whatever.

The very best to you,
    Taryn
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    HI I'M HOLLY WE ARE ALL HERE FOR EACH OTHER,IF YOU LIKE WE CAN BE BUDDIES,I FEEL THE SAME WAY I HATE HOW I LOOK BUT IT'S GETTING BETTER.I'M HERE IF YOU NEED ME.
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: You've come to the right place. We all need support and encouragement. This is great site. It can help you with what you need. Accountability is so important. Glad you started your journey now to a healthier, happier you.
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! My plan now is too start off slow...i usually jump into a diet and it becomes soo overwelming and i give up, So the first thing im doing is cutting out sugar and cutting my portion sizes in half. I love food and dont know when to stop. I dont really know any sucessful diets or anything so i am open for suggestions! I just got a double jogger and am going to walk daily for a goal of 45-60min. I would ideally like to jog/run but i am a long way from there! Im so badly out of shape and i get winded walking up a flight of stairs quickly. It just sucks cuz im 26 and i dont feel my age...i feel sooo much older!
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    You can do it.... start slow, with mini goals.... You're off to a great start!!!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    This site will definitely help. I'm finding more and more that just knowing what I'm putting in my body and keeping track of it is the biggest help to losing weight. Before MFP you eat a salad and you think you're doing good. Make a home-made pizza you assume is low in fat and NO! its not!

I'm able to look at things like a drink from Starbucks and go - "Do I want it so badly that I'm okay with adding the calories equivalent to a whole meal?" And usually - no.

Entering in the foods you eat helps you learn what is best and what is awful. So it helps you really learn to lose weight by TEACHING you how to eat! So much better than those plans that just send you food.

And there's a lot of support and recipes and exercise tips on here. And a lot of amazing success stories that are really inspiring.

Good luck!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! My plan now is too start off slow...i usually jump into a diet and it becomes soo overwelming and i give up, So the first thing im doing is cutting out sugar and cutting my portion sizes in half. I love food and dont know when to stop. I dont really know any sucessful diets or anything so i am open for suggestions! I just got a double jogger and am going to walk daily for a goal of 45-60min. I would ideally like to jog/run but i am a long way from there! Im so badly out of shape and i get winded walking up a flight of stairs quickly. It just sucks cuz im 26 and i dont feel my age...i feel sooo much older!

Hi Melissa, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BrenNew is so right on the money. Couldn't have said it better.:happy:
  • hilsnash
    Options
    Hi,

Im new here too. I gave up smoking 8 days ago and the weight is going on. I have already gained 4lb. I know that might not sound much but that's a gain of half a pound a day and at that rate who knows where I'll end up!
    I am using the site primarily to keep track of my food intake carbs, fats etc it really helps me see what I am doing wrong.
    Can I just tell you about a diet that I have used in the past, it's brilliant because its not a diet as such just a healthy eating plan. It's from the British Heart Foundation and is so easy to use and tells you real portion sizes and easy ways to serve them out.
    Good luck to everyone on here.

Regards Hils
  • Burtonrah
    Options
    I'm brand new to MFP as well! You've gotten awesome advice! I know that you can complete your weight loss and lifestyle goals! I'm on day 2 of my lifestyle change, and hoping to continue that for a long time. I know that slip up's happen, but just have to shake it off, say that's ok, and get right back on the horse!
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can already see this working for me...after seeing how many calories i consumed today....a regular day of eating for me im sick to my stomache. Tomorrow i will think about EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth and will do better!! Also everyone seems so great and supportive and i cant be happier that i found this site!!!!! Hears to a healthier mind, body & soul!!!:happy:
  • jojo0512
    Options
    :love: :laugh: Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and so far I really like how easy it is to manuever around. I am 48 and my goal is to try to become as consistent as I can eating healthy and working out daily.

I enjoy reading about everyone and it really helps to see that others are going thru the same thing I am; everyone keep up the great work and let's meet our goals.

JOJO
  • junepearl609
    junepearl609 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :happy: I too just joined and wanted to wish you the best of luck. It will take time so do not get discouraged. I was at my highest of 229 and went down to 155 and now back up to 175 and want to be like down to 145. I struggle so hard as with kids you tend to eat whatever and whenever. I hope by tracking what I am eating it will open my eyes, Again best of luck to you.

Jennifer
  • MSPENCE
    Options
    Melissa, today is the first day of your new life and you made the right choice. We are here for you. Are names are not the only thing alike, I too have have young children and gained all my weight as a result of having them.issues Everyday I look in the mirror and don't like what I see. I joined MFP about a month ago and I LOVE IT!!!! The friends I have made are the best and everyday I get messages from them encouraging me to do well. Stay strong! You can do it!