Calories calories calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    LMAO WOW . for the very last time I DONT PLAN ON EATING CHIPS TO FILL MY CALORIES its just an example people!!
    my question is is it really only about the calories ,,, so here is an other example yes example if you ate donutes all day like 1600 calories all that carbs and everything you could get to your weightloss goal im not talking about health here im talking about calories in calories out that all you peeps are saying!

You ask a question, get several answers to that question then get touchy about the question you asked?? Confused.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Alright Everyone says its always about the calories, Is that true is it true so Dont worry about the sodium the carbs the sugar dont worry about that, They say as long as you have a calorie Deficient some kind of a calorie deficient you will lose weight, so eat 1800 calories of salty chips and yes thats a calorie Deficient, so would you still lose weight?!

I see what you are asking.

Have you ever portioned out 1800 calories of salty chips? That's a bowlful at best. That quantity would sail me through maybe half a day, and I'd be headachey from a lack of protein. Let's face it, many of us like to feel satiated with fullness as well as deliciousness, so we figure out ways to make our caloric goals taste good as well as keep us until the next meal.

I lurk around other people's food diaries sometimes and am mind boggled at what I think is a total squandering of perfectly good calories, but that's their business.

I watch three things on my diary-Protein, fiber and iron because if I don't get those I feel crappy, but everybody is different.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    and i dont mean just lose weight i mean transform your body i think thats more than just calories u have to look at other things too
    Transforming your body changes the whole context of the question. Weight loss is all about calories in - calories out. Body composition is about calories, macro/micronutrient intake and training.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i didnt pay much attention to the sodium and sugar and what not, however, in order to stay within my calorie range, i had to make good choices, so... but, yes... its simple calorie in, calorie out...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    and i dont mean just lose weight i mean transform your body i think thats more than just calories u have to look at other things too

Well now you're changing it. Originally, you asked if its just calories to lose weight. The answer is yes, for the most part.

Now, you are asking a different question. And, at this point, it can get pretty complicated. What is the goal with your body transformation? There are many different possible goals and many people think differently about what body transformation means. So, you have to clearly define exactly what you mean. Even if you are able, there are many paths to achieve that goal.

This isn't a black and white question you're asking.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes. You'd lose weight. And be quite unhealthy.
    ^^that^^
    anemia,chronic fatigue ,specific micronutrient deficiencies,depression ......to name a few...if losing weight was equal to health then anorexic models won't die of multi organ failure. please love this life Lord has so lovingly bequeathed to you and work towards holistic health and happiness.take care and be happy.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is about the calories.

BUT you will feel fuller if you eat protein at every meal and nutrient rich foods with a lot of volume, like fruits and vegetables.

It is easier to eat at a deficit if you eat small meals or snacks over the day, and don't go too long without eating.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

BUT you will feel fuller if you eat protein at every meal and nutrient rich foods with a lot of volume, like fruits and vegetables.

It is easier to eat at a deficit if you eat small meals or snacks over the day, and don't go too long without eating.
    What is "easier" depends on the person. You don't need protein at every meal and you don't need "nutrient" rich foods either.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say yes and no. A guy lost weight on a twinkie diet that maintained low calories. That said, I will add the calories are also numbers that indicate the energy in a food but the way your body uses them has an impact as well. The less processed the food, the more work it takes you body to digest and absorb the nutrients and calories. If you have 100 calories of mint chocolate Aero bar and 100 Calories of apple, the Fibre in the apple takes more work for the body to digest, leaving a lower net caloric effect for your body to fuel other activities. Try to reduce the amount of processed foods.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Carbs fat and protein are all metabolized differently.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Carbs fat and protein are all metabolized differently.
    Hmm.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say yes and no. A guy lost weight on a twinkie diet that maintained low calories. That said, I will add the calories are also numbers that indicate the energy in a food but the way your body uses them has an impact as well. The less processed the food, the more work it takes you body to digest and absorb the nutrients and calories. If you have 100 calories of mint chocolate Aero bar and 100 Calories of apple, the Fibre in the apple takes more work for the body to digest, leaving a lower net caloric effect for your body to fuel other activities. Try to reduce the amount of processed foods.
    The Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) is based upon macronutrient composition, not how "processed" it is. Protein has a TEF of approximately 25%; carbs around 5-6%, fat 2-3%. Here's a reference which explains the process in detail (read the section titled "Thermic Effect of Food (TEF)":

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/metabolic-rate-overview.html
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    yes, but you may not be healthy. The macros come to play when considering how the body functions. Would 1800 calorie diet including 1800 calories of candy and potato chips cause you to lose weight (if you use 2300 calories)? Yes. Would you feel well and be able to function properly? Not likely for long. For health's sake, a diet that includes adequate PROTEIN, carbs, fiber, and good fats is essential for optimum health.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

For a lot of people it is easier to eat one or two large meals. Fat is satiating also.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Transforming your body changes the whole context of the question. Weight loss is all about calories in - calories out. Body composition is about calories, macro/micronutrient intake and training.

^^this
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Why did you post this if you already knew the answer to your question?

This topic has been covered many times.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you know the answer and want to ignore people's comments, why are you posting?
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yes and no is my answer to if it's all about the calories or not. As much as I'd like to try a diet where I eat nothing but 1200 calories a day of just junk and sweets (even though, I know that's not what you were planning on doing, ;-P ). However, when I first started dieting almost 3 years ago, I lost 25 pounds in 8 weeks by eating only 1200 calories a day. Of course over time I've lost track and fell of the trail and lost my way. Starting tomorrow I'll be starting my 1200 calorie a day diet again in hpoes of losing 40 pounds in 2013... I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes this time around. :-) Good luck!