How many calories do YOU burn during ripped in 30?

Options
I just recently got a new heart rate monitor (sportline sx ecg universal heart rate monitor, cheat but apparently accurate) Because I couldn't afford a polar. I really like it and many people say it's accurate, but today on my first day of RI30 it said I burned nearly 600 calories! that's for about 35 mins of exercise and continuous heart rate-raising moves. On my run the other day (C25k) it said I had burned around 400kCal. This was a combination of running/walking.

I think it's accurate, but I would just enjoy hearing other people's calorie burns during the same thing. :smile:

Edit: Ps I;m 5'3 and 126 pounds. Please include your H and W ! :)

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 126 lbs as well. I average about 330 calories for the Ripped in 30 DVD on Level 1 using 3 lb and 8 lb weights. I use the Polar FT7 HRM. For 30 minute runs (3 miles), I typically burn between 300 to 350 calories, sometimes as high as 400 if I have some hills in there.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I use 5 and 8 pound weights, so perhaps my slight height difference and increased weights make the difference.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I only use the 3 lbs for one of the moves, the rest of the time I use the 8 lbs weights. Does your HRM give you an average heart rate for the workout? 600 calories seems a bit high.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I only burn around 200cals.

5'3, 65kgs with a Polar FT4 HRM.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Glad to hear you're pushing yourself! :laugh: Yes, my HRM does give an average HR. it also takes into account my age, height, weight, activity level, and what type of activity i'm doing (aerobic, etc)

600 seems very high to me too. I did wear it during the warmup and in the warmup alone I think I burned at least 60 cals, which seems odd to me. However, I don't eat all my exercise calories back so it doesn't bother me too much.

I've read on other threads about this HRM that it's very accurate for everyone who uses it, and I even wetted the electrons on the band. Hopefully it's not lying to me :)

Perhaps because it was my first day back at exercise from a few day rest period and the fact it's a new program is the reasoning behind the high calorie burn. I always feel as though I burn less calories as the programs continue and I get better, so we'll see.
  • MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 316 and I burn around 500 calories.
  • Jen800
    Options
    What kind of heart rate monitor do you use? :)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing ripped in 30 and I'm waiting for my heart rate monitor to come through the post. I've added you as a friend and I'll let you know when I know :)
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Depends on what adult bev I am imbibing to get ripped..Hah, not really...have a great 2013! :drinker: :laugh: :noway:
  • Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    l got a Polar FT40 for Xmas and l only burned 178 cals during level 4 of RI30, l was a bit disappointed at that as l am 5'2" and 85kg . l burned 214 doing level1 of Killer buns and thighs right after RI30 that day. l'm now on to level 2 of Killer buns and burning 260
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm really starting to worry about my HRM accuracy, though. if any of you guys know, what was your Average Beats Per Minute?
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's little chance you burned 600 kcal in 35 minutes at your height and weight unless you are already in fantastic shape. That would be equivalent to you running something like 4 miles at 6 or 7 minutes per mile. Probably half that number is much closer to the truth.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yup, for your weight and height, burning 600 calories in an hour would be going absolutely flat out. Are there any calibrations on the HRM?
  • Jen800
    Options
    if by calibrations you mean does it take into account height, weight, age, fitness level, etc. then yes.

I think the reason it was so high was because my body is generally shocked whenever I start a new workout routine, so maybe that's why.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I looked at my last workout and average heart rate was 156 and max was 176. I do turn on my HRM for the warmup and leave it on for the cool down. Even when I haven't worked out in a while, the most I've burned is 345 with this video and I usually try and do all of the hard moves.
  • Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My average H/R is 127 and max is 146
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I only burn around 200cals.

5'3, 65kgs with a Polar FT4 HRM.

Yep. I average around 215 according to my hrm. I'm 5'5, 120
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I burnt 150 calories on this with my HRM and deducted 10% to account for any 'over-estimated' burn. Edit: I'm 135lbs
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ya that sounds high for 30 mins. The smaller you are the less you burn too . I am 5'3" and 110 and 30 mins of shred burned under 200 for me!