Working out with medical problems

Options
Hello!

I'm trying to vary my workouts a lot to try and get myself off of the cardio machines as much as possible (I get bored and burnt out on them).

Problem is I have a couple of issues that can make some workouts painful. The big one is that I have injured my knee quite a few times. Most recently I dislocated it. OUCH! So now its pretty weak. If I do lunges or anything like that I can feel it shift. I have a brace, but it only does so much.

I also have fibromyalgia. Which means that has a lot of jarring impact like running not only aggravates my knee but pretty much everything else.

Any suggestions? If no one is very familiar with fibro I'll take suggestions about comforting my knee. I actually consider it the bigger problem!

Thanks!

Replies

• simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have fibro. Im new here and havent posted before, but wanted to say...I feel your pain! Being 350lbs and having fibro makes for an almost impossible exercise situation but I manage.

In the summer, I swim at my local pool - water exercises are great. In the winter, I hit my stationary bike. When my fibro isnt so bad, Im able to do some aerobics and weight lifting. If I feel a lot of pain, I'll go to a physiotherapist or massage therapist. I also have a TENS machine that works at night to help me sleep.

I will say, since exercising regularly, I havent had many flare ups.
  • khoolette
    Options
    It's amazing how many calories you can burn doing "chores". Housecleaning, Raking lawn, etc. Make sure you count those. Otherwise, walking is always good.
  • haileyco
    Options
    I too have dislocated my knee several times, and although the exercise machines get old....the low impact exercise is really best. I recommend the bike, elliptical or swimming. I would avoid the treadmill because it is more impact for your knees. Also doing light weightlifting on the machines is good to strenghten the muscles around the knee up, thus strenghtening the knee. Full ROM activities are important to keep your knee flexible and to help with stiffness and swelling