Beautifully written.
  • peanutbutterz
    peanutbutterz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nicely written, witty and on point.. :)
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Lol love your post so true. I have a home gym the thought of someone sweat freaks me out.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is a good post, although it assumes everyone who can afford a gym membership, which is cheaper than a crappy cellphone plan in my area, has or can also afford visits to the doctor when they aren't sick, personal trainer, etc.

I would also point out- if you see someone breaking a rule, and haven't seen them before, like forgetting to wipe down a machine, it's acceptable to politely let them know. They might not realize that's part of the etiquette for where they are.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is a good post, although it assumes everyone who can afford a gym membership, which is cheaper than a crappy cellphone plan in my area, has or can also afford visits to the doctor when they aren't sick, personal trainer, etc.

I grew up VERY poor in a federally funded housing project. I am VERY empathetic toward folks' economic struggles. That said, everyone has SOME service or labor or talent or product that they can barter for an hour of a trainer's time. And as for the doctor, which is more expensive... the tests that COULD be done via medicaid or reduced charges for cash payment, or a massive coronary or stroke that kills or debilitates you and keeps you from being productive for weeks or months? Obviously, these things cost something. But the potential cost of NOT incurring these expenses could be VASTLY greater.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    LOL that made my night!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I love this post!

Happy New Year to everyone! May 2013 see you accomplish your goals.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love it! :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    :)
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Not sure if MFP forums would be the best place for this, people who use this tool and post on this forum (this one in particular) tend to already exercise. Great post nonetheless it'd be better if more people would read this.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    Well said! Cheers!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Great post! Cheers you you all! Keep hitting those goals :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the sentiment. It's realistic without being discouraging.

I am currently suffering from doing too much too soon. I am going to lighten up on my workout tonight, but I am going to do it.

Don't worry though. You won't see me at the gym. I am not paying for something if I'm not really going to go every day and stay committed to it.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A tip from me for the newbies:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help. There are people who don't like "noobs" in "their gym", but most of us are psyched about anyone who is serious. If you are too intimidated to ask someone in your gym, you can ask here. Ask questions, add friends, introduce yourself. Be involved in your change. We want you here and we would love to help you stick to your goals. I started unintentionally losing weight in April, but didn't start at my gym or MFP until August. Without the support I've gotten, I probably wouldn't be here now and definitely wouldn't have lost 50lbs. You're not alone. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to start. We're here and WANT to help. :wink:
    All of the OP's tips were great. I just didn't want this to get left out.